NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hyperion eyepiece would it be a good buy for my scope?

I'm thinking about buying a Baader Hyperion eyepiece to use with my Skywatcher 130. Is this a good idea? Will it work OK with the scope?

If so, my idea is to start with a 5mm for viewing planets and then add more as I can afford them.

I currently have the 10mm and 25mm eyepieces which came with the scope ans a 15mm SW eyepiece as well.

I thought buying decent lenses would be a good idea so that when I am able to upgrade the scope I can still use the eyepieces.

I've just got my 130P and am having the same thoughts.

As it's a reflector then all the quality in magnification comes from the eyepiece and the supplied SW ones are functional at best.

The first additional one I got was a 4mm GSO for about £30. I reckoned 4mm would be pushing the limit of the scope and optical viewing comfort through a tiny tiny hole so wanted to try it out. Saturn at the moment is a very good view through it showing at least 3 moons and bearing in mind the scope only has a 650mm focal length, this is quite good for a first scope.

So my dilemma was the same, do I spend about £80 on my next good eyepiece in the faint hope I could spot one of a handful a DSO's barely visible with the scope or look for more around the £30 mark?

In the end I found a set on eBay of 4 more GSO Plossls at 9, 15, 20 and 32 with a 2x Barlow.. That came with a nice hard case with room for some more and was only £80.

Looking at the quality of the SW ones and comparing them to the GSO there was a big improvement so I estimate that the GSO ones will at least be still good for a 200 - 250P on planets and lunar at least.

There's probably a rough formula of say 20 x (?) that you could apply to the cost of an eyepiece compared to the cost of scope it will still be good for.

£30 EP - Upto £600 scope

£80 EP - £1200 scope etc.

It's a difficult thing to judge I know because as with something like hi-fi.. You get this bad urge to "upgrade" because you know it will improve your experience and that's what you earn your money for. :)

The Baader ep's are very nice and a considerable step up in quality from supplied ep's. They're around £95 new or you can pick 'em up s/h for £60-£70 in v.good nick and they'd be great with your scope.

You might like to consider the Baader Hyperion Zoom - it's a smashing general purpose "5 in 1" eyepiece, several steps up in quality to what you have, and will turn your scope into a proper instrument. It transformed my first scope (SW 150P) when I had it and they retain value if kept well. Second hand the Mk2 is a bargain at £100-£120 and it's better than any ep set imho.

I'd suggest you get to an observing session and somone will lend you some ep's to try in your scope - local astro soc, or star party - so you can evaluate what you'd be happy with. Hope that helps :)

Looking at the quality of the SW ones and comparing them to the GSO there was a big improvement so I estimate that the GSO ones will at least be still good for a 200 - 250P on planets and lunar at least.

I like my GSO plossls in my 200P dob. The 32mm gets the most use :)

I agree with brantuck with his suggestion of a zoom eyepiece. Of course the advantage is that it will show you how magnification stretches the light and as a consequence, how much darker the image will get, which isn't all bad as sometimes it can help boost contrast and help reveal detail such as with M57 the ring nebula.

Ultimately, eyepiece selection can be subjective and where ever possible, it a good idea to 'try before you buy' and that can be achieved by joining a local observing group. People are more than happy for you to try out their eyepieces to see how your scope performs. I see eyepieces as an investment that will last longer than the many of the scopes that you will eventually own and then sell on.

Clear skies

James

I have a couple of Hyperions and I like them. Both bought second hand (one off eBay :), and one from SGL ;)) - both are good as new. I also have a 12.5mm WO SPL - also SGL :eek: - this is a nice EP too. Never tried a zoom though.

I use an 8mm Hyperion for planets and the Moon. It gives bright images with good contrast. It has a fairly long eye relief, which I prefer, and this makes it a comfortable eyepiece for me to use (and, if I'm comfortable, then I see more!). You can buy "fine tuning rings" to extend the barrel length and drop the focal length to 6mm, 5mm and 4.3mm.

The downside is that it introduces some chromatic aberration (false colour) around bright areas.

I have 5mm and 13mm Hyperions for my NexStar 8se. The 5mm is pushing it - too strong - but the 13mm is my most used ep. I plan to get an 8mm and 25mm Hyperions eventually to replace less good ones.

I agree with Kim (Brantuk) about the Hyperion zoom. Although I have Ethos and Nagler EPs I have the zoom mainly for my PST.

However, I recently acquired a Skywatcher DPS 150 newt and the views of M13 and M57 with the zoom were very good with no coma visible at 8mm.

Mark

Thanks Guys,

I've gone for the 8mm Hyperion with the extender rings (ordered from FLO). I like the idea of the zoom, looks really good, just could't quite stretch to that at the moment though. Must start saving :)

Finally got the eyepiece last night. I ordered it from FLO on Thursday but had it delivered to my mother in-laws as I was at work. It arrived on Friday but my mother in-law had just popped out. SO delvery was re-arranged for yesterday.

Not had a chance to give it a good try yet as it was deliverd with clouds ;). However, got a chance to view Saturn between clouds and was pleased with the separation I could easily see between the rings and planet. Looking forward to some better viewing conditions to give it a better trial.

Focussing was a bit of a problem but this is due to the focusser on my scope (skywatcher 130m). I've seen that better focusers are available for the bigger Skywathcher scopes but cannot see any for my scope. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful.

Hi Tbird - yes I did tweak the focuser a bit to make it a little more positive but it was only on the tension screw which was a tad sloppy - didn't strip it down or file it or anything. I also colimated it using a hotech it so it should still be nice and sharp assuming no knocks - it's a v.nice little tube ;)

I bought it for the mount but I'm starting to get used to running two scopes now. Had a bit of fun the other night with the 150p/cg5 tracking Saturn and switching to the 130p to observe the moon.

Hope you bring your Hyperion to the next meeting, I would like a look through that please !

Will Do, I'd like to see it on your SW150 to compare.;) I didn't think I was going to be there as I'm on holiday at the beginning of June, but checking my diary (or wife as some people call them) I get back the Saturday before the meeting:D.

Archived