Stellarium - Windows 7

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't find any specific issues with your graphics card and Stellarium (nothing on the Stellarium wiki either) so I would also hazard a guess that your display driver may need updating.

I even found the link for the latest driver for you click here

Your hardware is more than capable of running Stellarium and your card is OpenGL compatible, a 64bit OS is also absolutely fine.

It wont do any harm for you to have up to date drivers for the display and may well solve your immediate problem.

Also I would recommend against installing ubuntu!

Really? Why?

Im currently, using stellarium, listening to spotify and typing on this forum, all using ubuntu. I used Windows software for years and was DEAD set against Ubuntu. "its Linux, its all typing code and boring and difficult" I thought. That was until I actually tried it. Once I did, there was no going back to windows.

Its easy to use, its more secure than windows, it opens your horizons to a world of FREE software which is just as good as their costly windows counterparts and in many cases have been designed to interoperate with their windows counterparts (eg I can write documents/spreadsheets on my ubuntu laptop at home using "libre office" software and take them into work and open them on my windows office 2007 software. Simple.

Seriously, give it a go.

My log (on page 2 of this forum) states that this is an unsupported Windows version.

How can that be?

it is not officially supported, it nevertheless works with 7/64bit.

by the way, you are missing the last bit of your log.txt file... in particular the part about OpenGL (which most of us, think IS your problem)

you should read something like this

OpenGL supported version: "2.1.2"

Qt GL paint engine is: "OpenGL2"

I still think you would be more lucky asking your question and sending your log file to the Stellarium developpers :D

• 2 weeks later...

I run Stellarium on my laptop - Windows 7 64 bit.

I just downloaded it, accepted all the defaults and ran it.

I would suggest before you start trying other operating systems/bios d/l's etc that you delete Stellarium from your computer then download it again to discount a bad/incomplete d/l.

Sorry for 'butting in' if you have already done that.

• 1 month later...

First post - hi everyone

Wanting to get my kids interested in the world above their heads but frustrating time so far

have exactly the same Stellarium issues - and using a Toshiba C660

tried all the stuff suggested and more, no luck

tried coxy63 tip and got a black screen for a split second and then nothing - but that is some kind of progress I guess

Wanted to get something on the PC so the kids could get enthused about this stuff - they wondered off bored

Annoyingly downloaded Celestia to try that for them and that wont run either . . .

So, where next ?

Archived