Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium - Windows 7

Win7 64bit too and loaded Stellarium no problem.

De-install using the remove programs tool, reboot, and have another bash at installing the latest version from the website again. Any prompts to run as administrator just click 'yes'.

it's odd as your O/S, RAM, and graphics set-up can't be the issue.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have (again!) uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled. Nothing. My user account is set up as an administrator. I have even tried it with McAfee Firewall turned off....

I am at a complete loss as to why this is not working?????????

My laptop set up is as follows -

Toshiba C660 640GB 15.6 Inch Laptop - Black.

CPU and Memory:

Intel Core i3 370M.

2.53GHz processor speed.

4GB DDR3 RAM memory.

640GB SATA hard drive.

Display features:

15.6in widescreen display.

High definition display.

Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.

DVD optical drives:

Dual layer.

Graphics:

Shared graphics.

Intel GMA with HD graphics card.

Interfaces and connectivity:

Secure Digital (SD), Multi-Media Card (MMC) compatible.

2 USB ports.

1 Ethernet port.

B/g/n wireless/WiFi enabled.

Operating system and software:

Microsoft Windows 7 Premium.

ubuntu.com/download

Try it.

Its easy to try without installing, its free, its attractive, it works, its simple to use.

We spend so much time using computers these days, isn't it short sighted to stick with windows for no other reason than "thats what was on the laptop when I bought it"?

Just installed Stellarium after reading this post as I have windows 7 on my pc and with the latest version at the moment it seems to be working absolutely fine for me, very smooth and no crashes or anything. Try redownloading the latest version of Stellarium and make sure the downloaded file is the correct size as sometimes file which I am downloading say it is finished even though it is only a fraction of the proper size. Then delete the old Stellarium folder if you haven't got rid of it yet and try the installation again. Good luck =]

I have had no issues as of yet using Stellarium on my Windows 7 laptop,apart from not being able to get the satellite plugin to work, it doesn't load even though the box is ticked and I have restarted.

No biggy though, just a minor foible that would probably disappear when I download the next version (whenever that may be).

This is driving me blumming insane!!!!! Why won't this load?????????

I have deleted all the old files. Rebooted. reinstalled and ....nothing. I double click to open it and nothing. Absolutely nothing. I just don't get it.

ubuntu.com/download

Try it.

Its easy to try without installing, its free, its attractive, it works, its simple to use.

We spend so much time using computers these days, isn't it short sighted to stick with windows for no other reason than "thats what was on the laptop when I bought it"?

way to go!

on another note, that might just be a problem with your Graphic chipset... can it deal with OpenGL?

if not try running it with "no OpenGL2"... it will be slow, but it should open!

Clear the logs, then try running Stellarium again and check what appears in the logs. I reckon something will be reported.

You access the logs via Control Panel/Admin Tools/Computer Management

MorningMajor - It is saving it in that file.....is that correct or wrong?

If it's wrong how do I change the destination?

Stellarium is a 32bit program so it will be installed in the (x86) folder.

yidobooy,

i have the same newToshiba C660 laptop as you and have the same problem. i'm guessing its a graphics issue as i get a prompt saying its changed to windows 7 basic or something. in the end, I've given up on it and use Cartes du Ciel, not as pretty but does the job just fine, you will have to download the expanded star catalogue (easy) but after that you'll be flying

Bart

StevieDvd - So that shouldn't cause a problem then (having it stored in that file)?

No that's the right place for it. If you get a choice to set your own location on an install that location is noted by the OS anyway.

If you click on the application error in the log does it give more details?

You might want to try running stellarium via the cmd window. Type 'cmd' without quotes in the start/search line and when the black widow opens change to the program files (x86) stellarium folder. Then type stellarium, sometimes you see errors in the cmd window that are hidden otherwise.

The other thing you can try is using a shortcut. In the stellarium folder right-click on the stellarium.exe icon, choose to create a shortcut. It will probably say you can't create it there and offer the desktop as an alternate, say yes to that.

Then right-click on the shortcut created on the desktop, choose properties. The dialogue box has a lot of options such as compatibility where you can try running the program as an XP compaible one for example.

If there is a command option to run it on your setup you can amend the command in the shortcut. I'll have a quick look for command line options on the stellarium site.

Looking at the INTEL forums there appears tp be a problem with your graphics chip and OpenGL, this may have been fixed, try downloading the latest driversfrom the Intel website. You could also start Stellarium withou the OpenGL2 support, the exec is in the Stellarium folder (start=>all programs==>stellarium.

The following is from the log record from Stellarium -

2011-05-05T23:45:06

Unsupported Windows version

Compiled with GCC 4.4.0

Qt runtime version: 4.7.1

Qt compilation version: 4.7.1

Addressing mode: 32-bit

Total memory: 3890 MB (unreliable)

Total virtual memory: 2047 MB (unreliable)

Physical memory in use: 28%

Processor speed: 2527 MHz

Processor name: Intel® Core i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz

C:\Program Files (x86)\Stellarium\stellarium.exe

---------------------------------------------------------

[ This is Stellarium 0.10.6.1 - Stellarium ]

[ Copyright © 2000-2010 Fabien Chereau et al ]

---------------------------------------------------------

Writing log file to: "C:/Users/Sweeting Family/AppData/Roaming/Stellarium/log.txt"

File search paths:

0 . "C:\Users\Sweeting Family\AppData\Roaming\Stellarium"

1 . "."

Config file is: "C:\Users\Sweeting Family\AppData\Roaming\Stellarium/config.ini"

Archived