NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What else to image with ?

Just out of curiosity, with my skywatcher st120 on an EQ3-2, what else would i need to possibly image DSO's ?

Am I right in assuming motors, t ring, software and a good camera?

Thanks

Al

weigh down your mount and place it on some sturdy absorbing ground like grass. weigh it down as much as possible to keep vibrations out.

then you would only need one motor to drive the RA axis once you have polar aligned your scope - not too hard. and then of course a camera :) but with that setup it might be worth trying out a long exposure modded webcam, as it will significantly cheaper than a dslr. unless you want the dslr anyway for normal use.

I'm with nightfisher on this I have tried some imaging on a mount that can't do the job, all you get is frustration you need a good mount first.heq5 absoute minimum for good pics you will need a guidescope a guide camera, laptop connectors. A fast scope for imaging. I believe about a grand is the cheapest I have seen anybody get kit together and that was all second hand put together by someone who knew what they were doing and buying bargains. most people spend much more than that.

Yes, you can have a go with what you have but it will be very, very limited. The false colour of the ST achromat will be greatly exaggerated in a camera and the mount not only needs to be sturdy but to track very accurately, nothing like the level that works in visual use. That is why autoguiders came along.

Olly.

Archived