Help needed on a new set-up route

Hi Guys

Looking at a complete change of Telescope set-up in the not to distant future and would appreciate some feed back on the following:

(At present 75% imaging 25% visual)

Current set-up Orion Optics 200mm Europa Newt on EQ6. Great scope for visual but I am getting fed up of collimation, cool down time etc also other hassles when Imaging through the Newt.

So having only ever had an old ST80 that has hardly been used since I got the Newt (I intend to use this as a guide scope) I am very new to Refractors (no experience here) I am now thinking of going for an 80ED or 100ED

1. Apart from the issues of a longer F/L with the 100ED is there a vast difference in the performance and quality? (warranting the extra cost)

2. Any recommendations for a system to hold both the ED ? and the ST80 as the guide scope to fit on to my EQ6 that won`t end in a divorce over cost :lol:

3. Having checked out images that the ED80 can produce and well i`m impressed! but will my 350d fit straight out of the box without issues with the focusser etc?

4. Any converts from a Reflector to a Refractor out there that have positive or negative views on the change?

(I intend to hold on to the Newt so my questions are mainly relevant to the Imaging set-up)

Thanks

Alan D

I've recently made some guide rings for a 500mm telephoto camera lens that fits onto the Newt's rings. I was going to cut a couple of slices off a piece of 4" pipe and do the same for the ST80 but some beggar has nicked it! Ended up with slices of 3" pipe to fit the camera lens.

Basically its a bar that spans between the rings with two circles attached to the bar. Each circle has three tapped holes with screws fitted to grab the guide 'scope. Works quite well, much better than the guideriser as it's lighter and less wobbly.

Should work well with an ED and an ST. If you want a pre-made unit, you need to contact Ray's Rings or similar.

Captain Chaos

Thanks C.C. just checked out Rays Rings and looks like this may be the way to go.

Not getting any feedback on my other questions so apologies if the questions seem a little dim but I honestly have no experience with ED Refractors and their performance let alone imaging with them :lol: There must be someone out there who has switched from Reflector to Refractor?

Alan

Hi Alan,

1) Having owned a lot of the Chinese archros I can say the ED100/ 80 are a massive setup up in terms of colour and how high you can push the mag. Worth the money? Thats up to you. :lol: (it is for me)

2) Teleskop service sell the Baader side-by-side mounting plates for around £100, I've got one and it seems a damn site more stable than the conventional under and over way of piggybacking on a EQ mount (the weight stays closer to the mount)

4) You'll never beat a Newt on bang for buck, my refractors tend to get used when I havn't got enough time to allow for cool down or I just want a quick look at the planets/ moon / open clusters, anything else and 'aperture rules' :D

Gaz

Gaz

1. Apart from the issues of a longer F/L with the 100ED is there a vast difference in the performance and quality? (warranting the extra cost)

The ED100 uses Japanese FPL-53 Fluorite glass for one of its elements and with over 50% more light grasp (compared to the ST80), the increase in brightness resolution and contrast will be marked.

Compared to your 8" Newtonian, whilst the Newtonian will undoubtedly show you more, I suspect you will prefer the 'look' of the image through the refractor.

Hope that helps.

Thanks to all for the recomendations. Can I be of help Alan?

As you have the EQ6 then I can do a side by side for an ST80 and an **80 using close fit rings and adjustable rings for the st. PM me for prices etc.

cheers

ray

Alan, I have a side by side set up which I'm very happy with it. I think the arrangement is much stiffer. The ED 80 is a great scope and the additional advantage for me is that with a 0.67 focal reducer I effectively get 2 imaging scopes for the price of one. That is with a CCD chip though. The big DSLR chips do tend to vignette so don't think that will work as well for you.

The critical thing for imaging is focal ratio for exposure time and focal length for image scale. The ED80 is F7.5 which is a tad on the slow side. The ED100 is definitely on the slow at F9 but you have no doubt seen the images Rog has achieved with his. Many of these are with a 6.3 reducer which reduces exposure time and image scale. The optics on my ED80 are great with no problems getting a tight focus.

Visually as Gaz says the ED80 is always struggling with it's small aperture although the views are nice enough. The ED100 has built up a great reputation and seems to be the choice of scope for those in the know!

Have you had a look at the William OpticsZS66 and 80 apop doublet scopes? They are a bit more expensive but they are faster scopes, have excellent 2 speed fcosussers and immaculate build quality. I have a ZS66 which is F5.9 and superb colour correction. For imaging don't be put off by the small aperture of the ZS66.

I like your setup, CC. What kind of pipe did you use?

It's what we in the UK call BS1387 Medium Weight, I think that the US equivalent would be schedule 40 but I've no idea what systems you use in Canada.

Most pipe installing places regularly throw away bits of this stuff up to a metre long, so I don't think they'd have any problem with letting go of a little piece. They should also have a cutting system that lets them cut the pipe in under a minute so it's no biggy for them to cut you a couple of slices for the cost of a pint (or two if they're miserable so and sos).

Are you getting into imaging and guiding WH?

Captain Chaos

I like your setup, CC. What kind of pipe did you use?

Are you getting into imaging and guiding WH?

Captain Chaos

Actually, I just thought that was clever, and wanted to know how you did it. I take it that is plastic pipe you are talking about? I once made a cradle for my boat compass out of the stuff, and it worked a treat.

Archived