Scope short list

It has to need minimal maintainence and be easy to set up and start observing. At this point in my venture I do not want anything that needs collimating, perhaps in the future this will change but that just means I'll have two scopes! My short list is

mount: Skywatcher AZ4 Alt-Az mount

Scopes: Skywatcher Evostar 120 OTA

Skywatcher Skymax 127 OTA

Skywatcher Startravel 120 (EQ3-2) (If FLO can allow me to have one without the EQ mount.

Anyway thats my list and to think it all started with a bad Heritage 130 and then the wife allowing my budget to increase a little :)

So what do you think, should I consider something else?

Best Wishes

Dale

Of the 3: Skywatcher Evostar 120 OTA

127 has a narrow field of view, the Startravel has more CA.

The Evostar is probably the better all rounder from what you have listed.

I agree with Ronin but the Evostar 120 will be too much for your AZ-4 I'm afraid.

Collimation is an issues for all scopes by the way but maks and refractors need less collimation attention than newtonians.

thanks for the replies, Well as its my first scope I am prepared to scale down as I want to be able to use and enjoy it rather than be frustrated with it. Perhaps a 102 mm refractor would be more suited. And how quickly does it take to set up an EQ mount? If its not to long I could consider one of them instead.

Many thanks for all of the help.

Dale

Of course for under £300 I could get a Dob 200p, its just this collimation fear that i have especially after the 130p arrived in the state it did. I did not think choosing my first scope was going to be so difficult.

Dale

collimation is a doddle (when you get used to it)

AstroBaby has a good guide

if you still want refractor, then i would still go for the ST120, nice wide field telescope.

if you only want the OTA then i would suggest ringing FLO and asking what they can do for you

regarding set up, im up and running in about 20 mins on "go slow"

evostar 102 on eq3 or the 127 skymax would get my vote, i had the evostar 120 on eq3 and it was under mounted, the st120 will not be so good on planets due to false colour at high mag

Thank you for all the replies, all things considered maintainence/portability/storing it/cost etc I'm going to go for the ST120 on the EQ3 mount. It seems to draw me in and once I have it I can just concentrate on that scope. Just need to contact FLO tomorrow work allowing.

Cheers!

Dale

Of course for under £300 I could get a Dob 200p, its just this collimation fear that i have especially after the 130p arrived in the state it did. I did not think choosing my first scope was going to be so difficult.

Dale

I've had my 200P dob since September 2009 and it's only now it really needs collimating (I know I'm a bad person).

If you think choosing the telescope is difficult you'll enjoy upgrading your eyepieces in the future :D

You can collimate a Newt faster than you can set up an EQ mount. Setting up a Dob mount means putting it down. Say one second?

The fast achromats (ST series) are so limited at high magnification by CA that a colour free Newt has a ton going for it...

Olly

You can collimate a Newt faster than you can set up an EQ mount. Setting up a Dob mount means putting it down. Say one second?

The fast achromats (ST series) are so limited at high magnification by CA that a colour free Newt has a ton going for it...

Olly

I set up my EQ mount in 5 minutes for visual, and 10 for planetary photography (15 on a bad day), but then I do not have to worry about setting up the goto system (the old GP mount has none :D). I seem to remember needing more than 5 minutes to collimate my old Newtonian. Having said that, it is not that hard, and a 200p gives way better views of almost any object you care to mention than any of the other scopes mentioned.

bad people, making me rethink.......again, no i'm sticking with it.

@ twotter, great so I have to go through this all again with eyepieces!!

Many thanks

Dale

Any decision is better than none! If you make a mistake this time around, you'll learn from it, just as you now are more careful in choosing scope due to past experiences.

Not just eyepieces, wait until you think "this would look good on a photograph", then you would be in for even more!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Well I did it, I've just ordered the ST120 EQ3-2.

Many thanks for everyone who has given their advice, it restores your faith in humanity knowing there are so many people who want to help.

Regards

Dale

Once learned collimation is very easy and only needs a regular check and possibly no adjustment at all, It only takes literally 2 minutes to adjust the primary mirror on a newtonian. I haven't had to adjust anything for over a month now, just need to be careful when storing and setiing up. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Hello Dale,

Welcome to the Big 'Frac club! Don't worry about all the "Newtonian Nay-sayers!", refractors are wonderful! You are going to have a blast with yours! Refractors are much more portable, too... you can see my little 'frac <HERE> :)

Dan

@Ad Astra, yeah thats tiny easily fits in your pocket by the look of it!!

Well the ST arrived today, its white and black with the white mount and looks great. Just need to get out in the garden now, I can't wait.

I'm officially in the Frac club.

Best wishes

Dale

Excellent Dale.... now you need to learn the club's secret handshake! Heck, without that, no one would know I was a member! :)

Dan

@Ad Astra, yeah thats tiny easily fits in your pocket by the look of it!!

I'm officially in the Frac club.

Best wishes

Dale

Excellent Dale.... now you need to learn the club's secret handshake! Heck, without that, no one would know I was a member! :headbang:

Dan

Aww heck !

And all this time I thought it was a cleverly disguised Dob :p

:):p

Archived