telrad finder question.

hi. just a quickie. if i purchase a telrad. am i to assume that i need to have my eye placed in the exact place every time to be an accurate guide ?

as you dont put your eyes to the finder ,is this often a problem ?

ta...

I do not posses a Telrad in particular but most types of RDF work in the same manner, in general practice you view the screen a little way back from the unit and at best with both eyes open, the finder circles or red dot are quite easily seen against the black background of the night sky, with a little practice you will put your head in the same position each time you use it, it does not function like a rifle sight which has a back site. HTH :D

Just use your scope to centre a bright star, then twiddle the adjustments on the rear of the Telrad to centre the star. To view through the Telrad just means positioning your eyes directly behind it. Try using a bit of electrical tape to position the base where it give comfortable viewing before sticking it down.

Every time that you look at the Telrad circles you can centre them on what you want to see . There's no jiggling around as the circles are in the centre of your view.

It's the easiest way to find dsos using charts such as;

MSAS: Messier Finder Charts

With the Telrad eye position isn't critical, you just have to be about in the right position. There is some leeway. Compared to most other red dot (or circle) finders it's just easier to use because of this.

John

A telrad is essentially a holographic gun sight with a different reticle (concentric circles in this case). Once you have aligned it so long as your eye is roughly behind it the nature of the sight will compensate to a large degree for any slight difference in your eye position. You can check this by deliberately moving your head. The circles will move with you (up to a point). They are designed to be used with both eyes open and are designed (on a gun) for rapid target acquisition.

I know I'm new here so ought to be asking rather than answering but I've used many similar units on various airguns over the years. You can see one in operation here

YouTube - Telrad und DeepSky Reiseatlas

When the camera moves it still tracks his ceiling well.

Archived