NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cumbria Star Party Sat 30th April - Mon 2nd May

Hello Campers,

This thread is to get a rough guide as to how many peoples are coming to Cumbria this weekend. £15.00 per person for the 2 nights. Morning bacon butties and a coffee £2.00 per person

I have 16 people who are very interested, and many more emails from people who are not too sure yet.

I only really need numbers so I can weigh up how much bacon to buy for the butties in the mornings and how many little Cumbria bags to make up. What do you all think about a little quiz?

Can I once again Thank you all for your interest I am sooo looking foward to it. Speak soon

Delilahtwinkle

Hi DT,

I am definitely in for Saturday night. Just got myself a 2man tent to bring along, specifically for Starcamps. I may also manage to stay the Sunday night. From the previous thread I think I can see where you are situated. If you could PM me your contact details (in case I get lost) then I can always 'phone you if need be.

Let us know what time you are happy for people to start arriving. I was thinking of setting up the tent and then going over to a local pub for dinner on Saturday evening. Me, Steve, John and Kath wondered whether you could recommend a local hostelry? Heck, we might even buy you a beer. Remember, we are Scots, so buying a round is a BIG DEAL : ))

I know the Lakes pretty well as I have walked many of the Tops and been going there for 25 years, but other parts of Cumbria are a bit of a closed book - so any local info you have would be good.

Cheers (and praying for the weather to stay good)

Tom

Hi DT,

I should be ok for both nights, my first time camping for a lot of years so it may depend on whether the tent collapses around me or not!! :):eek:

I was planning on buying a tent for the Kielder Autumn Star Camp anyway so this will be good practise.

Looking at the weather, according to the Met Office (I've found them to be quite reliable recently but don't quote me on that!!) we'll have clear skies for both nights but the wind could be a bit of an issue.

Carlisle weather forecast - Met Office

Do you have a better idea of numbers yet?

Had fun at GoOutdoors in Clydebank. Managed to find a small tent that I could fit in by lying diagonally and there's just enough headroom for me to sit. The HiGear Atom 3 is rated as a 3 berth but not when I'm in it. :)

Choosing a sleeping bag had it's funny moments too. No-one makes sleeping bags LongJohn sized but the Outwell Contour 1900 comes pretty close so that the one I bought. :eek: Plus a self inflating bed mat and the slippery slope into camping out begins.

Spent a fortune in GO before Kielder.

I need another sleeping bag like mine so I can zip together and have a cozy situation. At Kielder I had mine and then my other half's over that. Not that it would be that cold this weekend :) But I don't like the squeeze that sleeping bags offer :)

Got a cheap stove from there too and made cuppas all weekend to keep me going :eek:

Hope to make this but I'm not sure on how this month's wages are going as last month I was paid very late.

Fingers crossed :eek:

Hi Folks, I am going to PM you all with my contact details. Looking forward to the weekend. Thankyou so much for joing the party. I am so pleased we are Good to Go. See you all Saturday. I have had 9 definate "bookings". I just heard on the local weather that our area of Cumbria could miss the bulk of the wind.

SpookyKatt I am so pleased you can come.

Astoimpulse I hope you can make it, I think we have picked a really good weekend weather wise.

LongJohn54 you have had fun havn't you, now I have read you post I am going to dig out my camping gear, I love camping, can't wait till the weekend. Robbieince don't worry what time you get here, I will be here all day.

Tom Jeepers, a beer as in singular not plural.

Steve I have 9 definate bookings and another 7 still have not got back to me yet but have shown interest I will PM them also.

Speak to you all soon DT

Great! Just got a PM from DelilahT to confirm I can come :). See you all on Saturday and Sunday. Really looking forward to this because as a newbie, I've never tried to observe / image an April sky and I've got new gubbins to use (want to try PHD Guiding & Cartes du Ciel).

So much to learn!

Hi all

Got back earlier today from this excellent new star party - DT did us proud, laying on lashings of coffee, delicious bacon buttys and even managing two wonderful clear nights.

One way to describe it would be "small but perfectly formed" - very friendly with loads of opportunity to observe socially for a change.

The field whilst not having power more than made up for it by offering very low horizons on all sides and very few lights and low light pollution.

One direction (East) was spoilt by some ridiculous arc lights at an agricultural yard but if you were shielded by the house they caused no problems.

I was purely visual and enjoyed the views through others and my own scope (15 inch obsession through to 80mm vixen frac) all very impressive each in their own way.

Some imaging was done - the prelim that I have seem looked very gpod and deep on m81/m82 and the witches broom - let's hope they are as good as promised when they get published.

Here's looking forward to the next one.

Thanks again DT it was brilliant!

Archived