Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Auto Focusser

What does AF do, beyond motorise the focussing? It doesn't actually AF so what's the point?

That's true, it doesn't autofocus! But it does enable you to focus the scope without touching it, thus reducing vibration and making focussing a lot easier and accurate. Particularly important when imaging.

Sadly its not the scope's fault but the mount/tripod. One idea is that you could try suspending some weight from the tripod's spreader plate or its connections to help settle the vibrations down, in a similar fashion to when you are attempting to steady a photographic tripod.

James

I use a SW auto focuser on my 150PL. It certainly does cut down on the vibrations when changing the focus especially at high magnifications (you are not touching the scope).

A trap I fell into was to place the hand set actually on top if the OTA after focusing. Guess what ... lots of vibrations. If you can, don't put the hand set onto the OTA, put it into a top jacket pocket or something.

Pete

Archived