Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CPC800 vs LX90

Which would your choice be assuming no freebies and the same price for both  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which would your choice be assuming no freebies and the same price for both

• Celestron CPC800
    • Meade LX90 8" GPS

I know it's a bit Starwars V Startrek but I just wondered what everyones choice would be assuming that

1 They where the same price so rule cost out of the decision.

2 They where both supplied with the same accessories ie. just an eyepiece.

I would like to know which you think is the best and why. It would be interesting to see peoples pros & cons for these scopes as I can only find a review of the CPC online and no comparisons apart from stuff on the cloudynights forum which just ends up being a meade is better so there type argument.

I would consider a second hand 8i GPS over a brand new CPC. However that doesnt mean the CPC isn't any good. Any reason you are looking at fork mounts over EQ's?

http://www.celestron.uk.com/catalogues/view_item.asp?ItemID=30658&CatalogueID=272&CategoryID=3822 £1,899.00

http://www.celestron.uk.com/catalogues/view_item.asp?ItemID=32736&CatalogueID=272&CategoryID=3812 £1,299.00

Dont forget that David Hinds offers a 10% discount to SGL members too

Lo Darren

I have never seen a CPC in the flesh and I don't know anyone with that type of scope so can't comment or argue its virtues.

I do own an LX90 and I know a few people who own them so here goes.

Pros

1 Easy to get the add on parts for them.

2 Loads of people have at some time used the Autostar handsets.

3 Incredibly easy to setup and use.

Cons

1 All the extra parts You can buy.

2 Extra parts costs can easily get out of hand.

3 LNT module can be a pain in the a**e.

4 Sometimes updating the handset can be a nightmare.

5 Motors can sound a little like a coffee grinder.

Having used mine for around 5 years and never getting round to updating the handset it still works well. One of our members wanted an LX90 but ended getting an LX200 from Telescope House for less than I paid for the LX90 and he is more than happy. Of all the 30+ members in our Society I don't think anyone uses a Celestron scope but 7 of us use various Meade scopes and the Society owns an LX200 14" in an obs.

I would consider a second hand 8i GPS over a brand new CPC. However that doesnt mean the CPC isn't any good. Any reason you are looking at fork mounts over EQ's?

Gordon

Thanks for your comments.

I was looking at a fork mount over the C8SGT because I've read that the CG-5 mount is a bit of a dog, and I find EQ mounts awkward for viewing from and polar aligning can be a pain. If I go for a fork mount I can always buy a wedge if I get into imaging seriously. I know wedges are not supposed to be as good for imaging and can be expensive but I don't think that imaging is going to be any more serious than te afocal stuff that I do occasionally partly due to not getting enough time and partly because of the rubbish weather :lol::D.

The 8i GPs? do you mean the Nexstar 8 GPS http://www.celestron.uk.com/catalogues/view_item.asp?ItemID=33325&CatalogueID=272&CategoryID=4081

or do you mean the NexStar 8 (XLT) SE http://www.celestron.uk.com/catalogues/view_item.asp?emID=32933&CatalogueID=272&CategoryID=3835 this dosen't have the gps unit.

If you mean the NexStar 8 (XLT) SE I've read that it can be quite sensitive to vibration and that it can struggle with tracking especially if you have any additional weight such as a camera.

Thanks again for your comments

Darren

Lo Darren

I have never seen a CPC in the flesh and I don't know anyone with that type of scope so can't comment or argue its virtues.

Pros

Cons

Having used mine for around 5 years and never getting round to updating the handset it still works well. One of our members wanted an LX90 but ended getting an LX200 from Telescope House for less than I paid for the LX90 and he is more than happy. Of all the 30+ members in our Society I don't think anyone uses a Celestron scope but 7 of us use various Meade scopes and the Society owns an LX200 14" in an obs.

Thanks Kev

I'm glad you enjoy your LX90. How bad is the noise really? If its quite loud I think that would drive me nuts.

Whats the tracking like?

How easy is it to align?

How does the Auto star alignment compare to Celestrons Skyalign? I've read some great things about Skyalign and that the tracking is spot on.

Thanks Again

Darren

Hi Dazza

I have no experience of the LX90 so my opinion is very biased. However, on the basis of having had the CPC1100 for the past few weeks i would guess at the 800 being wonderful. It would be much easier to set up than mine, the Skyalign is ridiculously easy and the view breathtaking. Very sturdy tripod, easy to assemble with 3 handscrews, and so easy to carry because of the way the handles are positioned. I am not able to lift anywhere near 65lb, but can lift the 1100 without bother even though this is what it weighs (strnge i know, but true). The motors are quiet as mouse, and the 40,000 database will keep you amused for years.

I have no doubt the LX90 has much to say for it - all i can give you is a view of my enthralling experience so far.

Cheers

Psychobabbler

Lo Darren

Pros

Cons

pretty much what he said :lol: (too lazy to type it out again) :D

Not the SE, the single fork arm is terrible with an 8" SCT.

I mean the old 8i that the CPC replaced, you can still get them second hand or if you are lucky new. The tripod on the new CPC is better than the old 8i's but everything else is superior (IMO)

I appreciate the difficulties of polar aligning an EQ mount and for purely visual work the fork mount is a lot lighter and easier to setup (assuming you always have a power supply at hand). The CG5 is a fine mount for visual work although the GOTO slews are quite noisey. A better EQ mount would be the HEQ5 but then you are going up in cost and mixing suppliers.

All in all given your two choices I think you wouldn't be disapointed with either. I believe the Celestron OTA's are of a slightly higher quality than the meades but thats almost splitting hairs. The mount and the software is the main difference between the 2 options you have chosen, with the Celestron being the more advanced I believe. The meade is a fine scope but the CPC would give you less hassle in the long run. That being said it's all personal preference and your mileage may vary

Thanks Kev

I'm glad you enjoy your LX90. How bad is the noise really? If its quite loud I think that would drive me nuts.

Whats the tracking like?

How easy is it to align?

How does the Auto star alignment compare to Celestrons Skyalign? I've read some great things about Skyalign and that the tracking is spot on.

Thanks Again

Darren

Lo Darren

The noise is not as bad as it is made out :lol: we have just made a standing joke out of it :D after the initial slew the tracking is silent and spot on for hours.

The alignment is only a matter of centering a couple of stars and Robert is Your aunties husband :shock:

If the chat on the forums is anything to go by the Skyalign should be a doddle but I have never seen it done in the flesh :?

Adam, is the GPS the one with the dual arms? It's the dual arm not the single arm i'm thinking of. The one the CPC replaced.

Whilst the SE is a great mount, I think with the C8 it's just not quite stable enough for planetary viewing. Focusing is near impossible. But as you say, it's a great light weight scope. I've not used a 6SE yet so dont know if the lighter OTA makes focusing easier.

Archived