SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What screws are what?

I have an Altair Optics F4 Newt and am wondering what are the collimation screws and what are the locking screws? Some have a spring on them and some dont - which ones are which?

Locking screws are the ones without spring, and collimation screws are the ones with the spring.

When collimating a telescope you first need to loosen the locking screws, then adjust collimation and then fasten the locking screws.

Just to follow on from blinky's original post, I have read that many on here don't 'lock off' the primary mirror's position after collimation because it is likely to distort and introduce aberrations in the mirror. Is this a problem and how many here follow that thinking.

James

Thanks guys - Gaz1968 came through with his Baader collimator but we ran into a little problem...... Basically you collimate with the scope lying on one side but after flipping it, collimation is off. I took the mirror out the tube and tightened up the screws holding the mirror on to the cell but this made little (if any) difference! So..... we (well Gaz actually) just got the collimation in the middle of the 2 sides and we will see how it works!

Archived