SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Naming a star; scam or a bit of fun?

Brainstorm

..if it's not official, why waste £30 on it.? That's what I don't get. You have to spilt with £30 for what is essentially a piece of paper saying "This star is yours". I've got "My Star" where I believe my Nan & Grandad are, but I've got it for free with the same limitations on it that those who forked out £30 have on theirs..

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a couple of examples of why I don't like th commercial outfits.

Someone I used to teach died at the age of 14 from complications from the cystic fibrosis she lived (and boy, do I mean lived!) with. At the funeral, her parents told me that they'd bought her a star and asked if I could show them how to find it. My hear sunk, knowing that this particular outfit had "sold" over a million stars, so we were going to be at least as dim as 12th mag. It turns out that the star was one of the GSC ones in M15, so at least I could show them how to find the cluster in binoculars and make some fluffy noise about her being "in beautiful company".

However, no such easy way out at a WAS star party a decade or so ago, when a couple came and asked me to show them the star they'd bought for their recent still-born baby -- this was the only reason they'd come to the star party. When I saw their crappy chart, I knew they'd be disappointed, because it wasn't going to be visible in the telescope I had set up, and it was still going to be a struggle to identify it if we used the big gun in the dome. You can't tell grieving parents, "You've been ripped off," and I hate lying, but I decided that was the lesser of two evils. I set up mounted binocs on the region (fortunately, very rich) where the star was and told them it was one of the faint ones in the middle of the FoV -- and hoped they'd never find out the truth. I really loathe being put in that position!

Here's a couple of examples of why I don't like th commercial outfits.

Someone I used to teach died at the age of 14 from complications from the cystic fibrosis she lived (and boy, do I mean lived!) with. At the funeral, her parents told me that they'd bought her a star and asked if I could show them how to find it. My hear sunk, knowing that this particular outfit had "sold" over a million stars, so we were going to be at least as dim as 12th mag. It turns out that the star was one of the GSC ones in M15, so at least I could show them how to find the cluster in binoculars and make some fluffy noise about her being "in beautiful company".

However, no such easy way out at a WAS star party a decade or so ago, when a couple came and asked me to show them the star they'd bought for their recent still-born baby -- this was the only reason they'd come to the star party. When I saw their crappy chart, I knew they'd be disappointed, because it wasn't going to be visible in the telescope I had set up, and it was still going to be a struggle to identify it if we used the big gun in the dome. You can't tell grieving parents, "You've been ripped off," and I hate lying, but I decided that was the lesser of two evils. I set up mounted binocs on the region (fortunately, very rich) where the star was and told them it was one of the faint ones in the middle of the FoV -- and hoped they'd never find out the truth. I really loathe being put in that position!

You did the right thing however your description as to why you don't like the star naming idea you have convinced me that there is a place for it. I can't think of a better way to immortalise someone lost to you. Especially an unborn baby. I personally know what effect this can have on people and it's very sad so if it comforts them then looking up at the stars thinking of lost loved ones then let them. (reminds me of the egyptians) However if it has no credibility or you end up with a star that is invisible then like previously mentioned... Just do it yourself!

You did the right thing however your description as to why you don't like the star naming idea you have convinced me that there is a place for it. I can't think of a better way to immortalise someone lost to you. Especially an unborn baby. I personally know what effect this can have on people and it's very sad so if it comforts them then looking up at the stars thinking of lost loved ones then let them. (reminds me of the egyptians) However if it has no credibility or you end up with a star that is invisible then like previously mentioned... Just do it yourself!

The awful thing about it is that someone is making a LOT of money out of other people's misfortunes. Choose your own star, at least that way you know it will be visible with the naked eye.

PS. I've just claimed ownership of the entire universe, and I have the post-it note to prove it.

The awful thing about it is that someone is making a LOT of money out of other people's misfortunes. Choose your own star, at least that way you know it will be visible with the naked eye.

PS. I've just claimed ownership of the entire universe, and I have the post-it note to prove it.

Asda are selling galaxies!

And planets!

I'm going to buy star then charge everyone £5 to look at it. Pointing at it will be a bargain @ 50p a time. :)

I'll do you a deal I'll let you off the price of mine if you let me off the price of yours.

yours sincerely Dave Polaris:D

Archived