Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Usk has a new observatory

:hello2:Usk Astronomical Society in Monmouthshire is delighted to announce that it has now completed the construction of its new observatory. It is to be named after the Victorian explorer, geographer, anthropologist and biologist, Alfred Russel Wallace, who was born and lived locally. The observatory presently houses the Society's LX 200 SCT. There will be an opening ceremony on the evening of the 12th May, starting at 7 pm. If anyone is interesting in coming along they will be very welcome, who knows we may even get a clear evening! The location of the observatory is behind the community centre in Maryport Street in the centre of Usk.

• 3 weeks later...

There appeared to be a good turn out about 100 people with local dignitaries in attendance. I think the Mayor, Chief Councillor and Monmouth MP David Davies was there.

The observatory was a Star Pod with two extensions. I never realised how big those things were especially with the extensions on.

I don’t know if any other SGL members were there. It would have been nice to have had a chat, perhaps we should wear some sort of identifying button or walk in a funny fashion at these events.

Anyway I enjoyed the occasion, well done Usk Astronomical Society.;)

sounds great, well done usk.

Been thinking of going to one of the meetings to see what goes on, anyone a member here?

any info on when club meetings are and times would be great

The club meets every Thurs at 7pm. at the Community Centre. Membership about £20pa.

Unfortunately I never took any photos, but it's the Star Pod with two extensions.

There appeared to be a good turn out about 100 people with local dignitaries in attendance. I think the Mayor, Chief Councillor and Monmouth MP David Davies was there.

The observatory was a Star Pod with two extensions. I never realised how big those things were especially with the extensions on.

I don’t know if any other SGL members were there. It would have been nice to have had a chat, perhaps we should wear some sort of identifying button or walk in a funny fashion at these events.

Anyway I enjoyed the occasion, well done Usk Astronomical Society.;)

Hi Freff, I was there yesterday, you should have stuck around a little longer, we were using the scopes to veiw and capture pics of Saturn, superb seeing from the usk site last night. the view through the LX200 , the Vixen and the Intes Mak were something to behold.

cheers

Tony

Hi Freff, I was there yesterday, you should have stuck around a little longer, we were using the scopes to veiw and capture pics of Saturn, superb seeing from the usk site last night. the view through the LX200 , the Vixen and the Intes Mak were something to behold.

cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

It's a shame I missed you, I was looking forward to meeting up with a few SGL members for a chat.

Perhaps at the risk of looking nerdy, we should wear some sort of discrete badge to identify ourselves at these events.:D

I'll try my best to get there next week along with bcfcciderhead. Perhaps you could ask at the meeting for all SGL members be known.;)

Sounds like something from Spooks.:o:cool:

we may well have met, I was looking after the Intes Mak for the Heads of the Valleys AS group who were there to support the event for USK AS, If you looked through it we may well have chatted.

We could always adopt some sort of secret handshake or salute, lets not let the Masons have all the fun!

I remember seeing you working very hard at the Mak, but never thought it may be you and didn't want to interupt.

Also saw a group of lads along side the marquee wearing neck labels, they must have been the Valley guys.

I couldn't stay long, my back was giving me jip, but I did manage to have a chat on the way out with a very nice and helpful elderly chap David. I think he is the Society's artist, showing me his rendition of a super nova. He gave me all the Usk AS details.

Archived