Observing platform

jonathan

Just sorted out a new location to try out, it's out of the way of the neighbour's security lights (and ours), not much different in terms of available views as other locations in the garden (most sides are blocked by trees).

observingplatform.jpg

I'm hoping that the paving slabs will give me some stability, they have been mounted on coal dust (a substitute for sand) which I'm hoping won't ignite! :)

This is the rubbish view I get from the back of my terraced cottage.

11042011055.jpg

Both neighbours have extended so I need to raise my scope somehow to see over their flat rooves.

This is my best solution yet. (2 audi a4 alloys and a paving slab sat on a dust sheet) :)

19042011067.jpg

far too unstable really due to the rubber but allowed me a good view of Saturn last night which would otherwise have been out of view.

I'm thinking about a decorators/ plasterers platform at the moment..

You might want to try drilling some shallow holes in those slabs where the pointy bits on the legs can go. Less chance of actually moving the mount if you accidentally kick it in the dark... doh! (been there, done that, lost polar alignment!).

nice, those low roofs may radiate some heat for a while though

I know, but it's pretty much like that South from where ever I put my telescope in the garden as that's where the rest of the village is, North is clear but half obscured by a hill and trees - Polaris is a few inches above the horizon.

I tried out the location for size with my trusty Sky Scout and 8x42 bins, saw all but two of Tonight's Highlights so I'm pretty chuffed with that, the two I couldn't see were obscured by small trees to the North, it may be possible to prune them a bit... :)

Archived