Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My final M51 (for this year... I think)

AndyUK

Owing to the restrictions viewing from the garden, the last few nights I've been using the early part of the evening to add some more subs to an ongoing M51 before then (hopefully) moving on to my chosen target... The recent moon hasn't helped though!

So here's what I think is probably my final result with the DSLR - 9hrs 10mins (55x600s) captured over 5 sessions (27th February and 7th, 12th, 19th and 20th April), ISO 800, 20 flats, 30 bias. Stacked in DSS, levels, curves, colour adjust in CS5, DBE in PI LE and then used Topaz denoise, a high pass filter and a Neil Carboni action in CS5.

Any and all criticism very gratefully received - I've tried to keep this "natural looking", but maybe it could do with a tad more colour saturation...?

post-18819-133877567091_thumb.jpg

post-18819-1338775671_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, well, maybe... but my available skies are pretty limited at the moment! and I hate wasting any dark skies...

(Still, I think my Atik's arriving today, so I'll have a new toy to play with...!)

Thanks LunarLight - You're very kind...! Mr Posty hasn't arrived yet with my new Atik, and I'm going to have take my dog out soon for an hour or so...

I just know what's going to happen, and if it does, I just know we're going to have another clear night tonight...! Ho hum...

That's beautiful, Andy. I'm not jealous at all! <g> :)

Watching your progress has been a journey and I think you've finally arrived with the DSLR and MN190 combo. I can't wait to read your first light report on the Atik. You are going to write one, aren't you? :eek:

Again, awesome work.

Clear skies,

Mike

Cheers Mike - You're too kind sir!

I think we've both had a few journey's...! :) I must admit, I'm now very comfortable with the MN190/40D/Synguider and 600s subs. Now, if I could just kill the streetlights, chop down the hedge and the horse chestnut, annex the bottom of next door's garden and somehow work out a mechanism for the house to sink into the ground at night, then life would be perfect!

I was indeed thinking of writing a first light report on the Atik (not arrived yet :icon_salut:), as I'm sure there's quite a few people (like us) who consider moving from DSLR to CCD - I know that I have a lot of known unknowns, and at the outset, as I'll only be able to take luminance and Ha, full colour images are going to be impossible, but I'm very much looking forward to it :eek:

I was indeed thinking of writing a first light report on the Atik (not arrived yet :icon_salut:), as I'm sure there's quite a few people (like us) who consider moving from DSLR to CCD - I know that I have a lot of known unknowns, and at the outset, as I'll only be able to take luminance and Ha, full colour images are going to be impossible, but I'm very much looking forward to it :)

I bet you are (looking forward to it) :eek:

I'm glad that you're comfortable with your equipment now too. Likewise, I'm comfortable with the HEQ5/150P although I'd like more aperture and a heavier mount in time.

As for the filters, you can always pick them up later to "add to" your image. I see filters quite often on the second hand market but the good quality cameras hardly at all and certainly nothing recently.

Mike

As for the filters, you can always pick them up later to "add to" your image. I see filters quite often on the second hand market but the good quality cameras hardly at all and certainly nothing recently
I've been trawling the "for sale" sites over the last couple of weeks too, but not a 285 chipped camera in sight...

I'm hoping I'll have enough cash saved up by the end of the summer to get a filter wheel and the "posh" Baader LRGB filters - I've seen some Astrodon and Astronomiks for sale second hand recently, but I'm going to stick with the Baader filters (and narrowband) as they're parfocal. Depending on how I feel, it's possible I may buy SII and OIII filters before then as I can buy them one at a time (ahem... radar? what radar?!).

[MR POSTY JUST ARRIVED WITH SHINY RED CAMERA :D :D :D]

(Forgive me - I have a box to open!)

Fab M51 - tried it myself recently and yours puts mine to shame...

Thanks very much... Mind you, I'd hope that 9 hours would give some kind of result!

Sure you'll find the Atik a real boon too
Oh I hope so, but at the moment I'm the weakest link...!

I can track endlessly most places but at the zenith I get issues like 'star not moving enough' etc leaving me with 60 max.

I tried slight imbalance to the rig, upping the calibration steps etc.

No joy.

Even when it says it's tracking...it's not (zenith only).

All ears on solutions :)

I can track endlessly most places but at the zenith I get issues like 'star not moving enough' etc leaving me with 60 max.

I tried slight imbalance to the rig, upping the calibration steps etc.

No joy.

Even when it says it's tracking...it's not (zenith only).

All ears on solutions :)

PHD -> click the brain (advanced options) -> change calibration step from 750 up to 1750 or so.

Run calibration.

Profit :eek:

Ah.... I'm not sure I can help as I only have a Synguider - All I do is balance then make it slightly east-heavy and after callibrating, I halve the RA/DEC aggressiveness...

But there's plenty of other people here who guide with QHY5's / PHD so I'm sure SOMEONE MUST be able to help you out...?

EDIT: There you go Sy! Hope that works for you... Tonight looks like being a clear one...!!!

Cheers Mike. But as I said in the quote you quoted...I tried upping the steps :icon_salut:.

But just checking and I see only to 1500. So will try even higher on your advice :)

Anyway...don't want to detract from this thread and it's awesome M51 :eek:

Cheers guys. *thumbs up*

Cheers Mike. But as I said in the quote you quoted...I tried upping the steps :BangHead:.

But just checking and I see only to 1500. So will try even higher on your advice :)

Anyway...don't want to detract from this thread and it's awesome M51 :eek:

Cheers guys. *thumbs up*

It is an awesome M51 :icon_salut:

I know you said you tried upping the steps, but it isn't enough - near Polaris and Zenith I've had to go to 2000. Try it and see.

Best,

Mike

Archived