Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Milk bottle washers mod help please

Hey all,

I have a Skyliner 200p. Using the mount scanning around the sky it sticks on the horizontal (cant remember if that is azimuth?) so I was going to try that milk carton mod I have heard about.

I have cut and cleaned a couple of washers out, I just want to be sure where to put them. Do they go in between the ply base boards and the metal washers on both sides?

Cheers,

They go in-between the baseboard and groundboard. Their function is to take some weight off the teflon pads on the groundboard so that the base turns more easily. You may only need one spacer so just test it with one and add another if the motion isn't yet smooth enough. It's just trial and error to get the right number of spacers.

John

Thanks John I was hoping you would answer. You had a good thread about all the mods to your dob. So just to clarify I need to put it in between the white already supplied spacer and one of the boards? Like the ham in a sandwich :)

Thanks John I was hoping you would answer. You had a good thread about all the mods to your dob. So just to clarify I need to put it in between the white already supplied spacer and one of the boards? Like the ham in a sandwich :)

Yes that's it :eek:

As mentioned it's just trial and error to get the right amount of spacing as you want to take just enough off the load on the teflon pads to make them slide easier.

John

Right I have placed one and then tried two, either side of the white space in the middle. It has definitely smoothed things up a bit, but there is quite a bit of wobble in the top part of the mount so I am thinking one would be best...

I actually found that by using turtle wax on the surface the teflon pads contacted was all i needed. I backed off the tension on the centre pivot a little and its buttery smooth. I apply fresh wax every so often and it works a treat.

After having done this mod to a few Skyliner dobs I've found the motion characteristics of the base are a bit "variable" and some need more work than others. I think it's mainly down to the Teflon pads used which are a bit cheap and cheerful and not exactly cut evenly. So with some dobs a little polish will do the job but with others spacers are needed.

John

Just to chime in, a bit of Mr Sheen does wonders. I did the milk bottle thing to, just one washer, and it's good, but quite lively now. I think a good strong wind would maybe spin it round.

Just to chime in, a bit of Mr Sheen does wonders. I did the milk bottle thing to, just one washer, and it's good, but quite lively now. I think a good strong wind would maybe spin it round.

Just like a ladder comedy sketch :)

Archived