How are optics damaged??

It's an issue for anyone who owns a telescope, camera, microscope or anything else with precise optics to keep them in tip-top condition.

Obviously you should keep them clean, dust-free and avoid scratches, but are there any other ways to damage your optics?

I was just wondering because I didn't cover up my finderscope the other day while solar observing. When I used the finderscope that night, and the next day, I couldn't get very good focus. Have I "burnt" my optics?

Andrew

P.S. this is how I did it - it's a good method, but NOT if you ruin your optics (or your hand)!

image.jpg

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER LISTEN TO ME!

was just wondering because I didn't cover up my finderscope the other day while solar observing

:shock: That is really dangerous..

At any time, that could have got you in the eye and blinded you or could have given you a bad burn.

What can happen is that the heat build up in the finderscope could have melted the plastic around the eyepiece

so worth a check inside

Same applies to Telrads, you cand burn the reticule.

Naughty boy, don't do it again :whip2: :nono:

I can just see the title of a new thread.....

"SGL has its first BLIND member"

I tell you something Andrew "You're not too bright are you"

Naughty boy, don't do it again :whip2: :nono:

Don't you mean god damned STUPID????

I don't care how harsh i sound to you Andrew as long as you take note this time!!!!!!!!

I say "this time" because i know that you have read lots of post in which you are warned about the dangers of the sun......

I have a good mind to request from Admin that you be banned from SGL just so that i don't have to read a post from your girlfriend saying "Andrew won't be posting any more because he is BLIND"

Just let me know if you didn't understand anything i just posted.....

When you said optics i thought you meant your telescope not your eyes !!

What are we going to do with you what with a combination of extension leads across the garden and unfiltered solar obs :rolleyes:

You do like taking chances dont you !!!

PLEASE BE CAREFUL

HANG ON A MOMENT!!

I think you may have totally misunderstood me. I'm not looking through my finderscope - no chance*! I had a solar filter on the tube cover obviously.

I remember hearing about someone using a sheet of paper to project an image of the sun through the focuser, surely you're much more likely to get your eye in the way like that!

Andrew

* I mean that - I'm 6'4" and it's a long way down to look through that finderscope - I have to be on my knees. There's very little chance that I'd be stupid enough to accidentally get my eye in the way.

For the sake of even a little piece of film over the finder i would still cover it up,even if i was not directly looking through it,if the lens caps were off .

You may be too tall to see it but if (like me) others wander past (my little boy) theres now way their eyes can be blinded.

I just leave the finder off for solar stuff. Pointing the 'scope is fairly easy as you just look at the side which isn't in shadow and move the 'scope accordingly. If you have a large piece of card, you can judge by the shadow when you get close as the 'scope's shadow beomes circular.

The solar projection bit is now old hat, due to the invention of solar film, and it can't be good for a 'scope as you're likely to build up a lot of heat inside. In these days of plastic baffles and suchlike, you will evaporate some of the plasticiser from the plastic bits which will deposit itself on the optics.

Captain Chaos

Most finders come with caps. Just put the front one on, or do as CC suggested. My red-dot finder has never come to harm from the sun. I have done ep projection, with an aperture mask on the objective, and only short exposures, closing the hole every minute or so.

As for other ways of damaging your optics, dropping them or bumping into walls is bad for them. I've been thinking of putting the scope out today, but I'm going to check the SOHO pictures first, to make sure there are some spots worth seeing. The two spots that were out there last week were said to be naked-eye, but I couldn't make them out with my hand-held solar viewer.

I am already the first visually handicapped member of SGL, so there! :rolleyes:

I took the solar viewer out a few minutes ago, before I read this thread, and looked up to the sun, but couldn't see it, so naturally, I lowere the viewer for a brief moment, realized I was looking too high, and got the sun in the viewer. I actually saw the sun for about 1/50th second, but that was enough to put a bright spot in my vision for a couple of minutes. Worse than a flashbulb, eh?

I remember last year when i was viewing the sun on my etx, i used to use the finder to locate the sun and put an image on a sheet of paper so i knew it was aligned. Needless to say I burned the wiring off inside the finder, lucky for me I used hamster hair to repair the cross, but was a serious lesson.

.... lucky for me I used hamster hair to repair the cross, but was a serious lesson.

Has compatitive review of the merits of various domestic animals fur for use in finder cross hairs been done ? - I'm sure I saw something on Cloudynights a while back....... :rolleyes::wink:

I wonder if there is an opportunity for some specially trained spiders here ?

John

Cat hairs are of no use at all..........far too thin, and moreoften covered with catspit. On the other hand, cat whiskers, which can be found in the carpet, every so often, could be da*n useful.

E-bay here i come. :rolleyes:

Andy.

Archived