Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pentax XW Eyepieces

There is growing concern that Pentax XW eyepieces might be discontinued as a result of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. Whilst supply has been affected it is only temporary, the series has not been discontinued and most focal lengths are in stock.

This from Pentax UK:

"Production of these has been interrupted by the disaster in Japan but

they have not been discontinued. In Europe we have sufficient buffer

stock that it shouldn't even be noticed. I think that the rumours you

mention probably originated in the States where they have far less stock

and will be (or are already) out of stock for a time. This though will

only be temporary.

Feel free to put this info onto the forum to reassure anyone that is

concerned."

PentaxXW14.jpg

The "rumour" comes from a specific statement from Don Pensack of Scope City in the USA.

He said: "I received a note from Pentax stating that the plant that made the XW eyepiece glass was destroyed in the earthquake/tsunami disaster. Pentax has run out of XW eyepieces and has no remaining stock.

Production is not scheduled for "the foreseeable future". It may be quite a while until these come back to market, IF they do. This will affect other Pentax products as well."

Note that he doesn't say that a Pentax factory was destroyed, but the plant that makes the glass.

Aren't Pentax owned by the Japanese glass manufacturer Hoya?

Like Don at Scope City, we can only pass on what Pentax are telling us.

We currently have 3.5, 5, 7, 10 and 14mm XW eyepieces in stock together with XF eyepieces and 5mm XO Orthoscopics. Pentax-UK appear to have stock too so we are not anticipating problems but if in doubt, buy now :)

I ordered a Pentax XW zoom from another supplier (a Pentax Pro Centre) earlier this week. Despite them not having any stock themselves, they were confident their supplier (I assume Pentax UK) would do. Fingers crossed!

I ordered a Pentax XW zoom from another supplier (a Pentax Pro Centre) earlier this week. Despite them not having any stock themselves, they were confident their supplier (I assume Pentax UK) would do. Fingers crossed!

'Pentax Pro Centre' applies to independent photographic stores and is intended to identify those stores with staff who can navigate their way around a camera. It doesn't normally apply to astro retailers.

Like Don at Scope City, we can only pass on what Pentax are telling us.

It may be a terminology thing. i.e. note that it wasn't said that the eyepieces were "discontinued", just that "production is not scheduled for the foreseeable future"

So it's entirely possible that both statements are correct :)

'Pentax Pro Centre' applies to independent photographic stores and is intended to identify those stores with staff who can navigate their way around a camera. It doesn't normally apply to astro retailers.

Yep, I'd have normally bought from you guys (sorry! :)) but their price was just too good when compared to all the astro retailers. Plus adding a 5th concurrent order/request to my FLO queue would have been pushing it a bit :(

It might seem that way at-a-glance, but I don't think so. Don's a very well-respected guy who offers a lot of good advice and engages in a lot of very thought-provoking discussion. He's just stating the facts as he sees them - if he was creating fud, he'd be torn to pieces on the forums by now! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad my XW Zoom came through ok then!!

Assuming the Pro Centre was SRS then they were £200 cheaper than the Astro dealers listing the Zoom and it came in a week as indicated in their checkout blurb.

Yep, I'd have normally bought from you guys (sorry! :)) but their price was just too good when compared to all the astro retailers.

Assuming the Pro Centre was SRS then they were £200 cheaper than the Astro dealers listing the Zoom...

I think I am safe in saying the majority of Pentax astronomy eyepieces sold in the UK are purchased at either First Light Optics or Rother Valley Optics. If we compare delivered prices for the Pentax XL 8-24 Zoom then FLO, RVO and SRS are all charging within £7.60 of each other ;)

Steve

I think I am safe in saying the majority of Pentax astronomy eyepieces sold in the UK are purchased at either First Light Optics or Rother Valley Optics. If we compare delivered prices for the Pentax XL 8-24 Zoom then FLO, RVO and SRS are all charging within £7.60 of each other :)

Steve

Couldn't see the XW Zoom on your site Steve or I would have bought for the sake of a few pounds but WSC and GW who do have it listed have it for £600

No worrys Stuart, we would have saved you only £1.99, less than the cost of a latte :)

I only mention it because someone finding their way here via a search engine might get the wrong impression.

Archived