Dual Axis motor power

Hi All,

I've ordered a dual axis motor drive unit for my eq3-2 as I want to dabble at astro imaging, However it says that the unit uses 4x d cell batteries, and I've heard somewhere on this forum that they dont last too long, So does anyone know of a mains adapter for this unit?

I'm presuming it's 6v but not knowing the amperage dont want to put something through it which will damage the unit.

Thanks,

Kev.

Hi,

I got no problems with using mains as my back garden is a decent viewing platform and I have 230v to my shed which has its own RCD protetion circuit breaker in and this is fed from the household distribution board which is also RCD protected therefore twice the protection.

However I totally agree with your comments if no protection is available 230v + wet may potentially = dead.

So with this in mind is there a mains adapter for the unit, With the mains voltage danger issues As my garden is only 50' long and the distance from the shed to where I position the scope is around 20' I can easily make a lower voltage extension lead.

Kev.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a number of 6V "wall-wart" type power supplies. Unfortunately none of them actually produce 6V according to my voltmeter (some are well up over 7.5V) and I'm unwilling to "test" them with the controller unit for my EQ3-2 motors.

For the moment I'm just using rechargeables and putting them on charge after every viewing session.

James

an old phone charger, or anything for that matter, that pumps out ~6v ? strip the wires and bingo :) did this once for an old walkman in my room, worked a treat, no more batteries!!;)

Haha! This thread tempted me to venture down to the cellar and dig out all my old power supplies showing an output voltage of 5V or 6V. One of the 6V ones was actually supplying 8.9V, but I found an old Amstrad one that I measured at 6.7V. Unfortunately it was centre-negative, so I've rewired it to be centre positive and it appears to work with my motor controller. I may test drive it properly this evening.

(I also found a couple of Nokia phone chargers labelled as 5.7V that actually appeared to be about 6.2V, but they had the wrong size plug on.)

James

Haha! This thread tempted me to venture down to the cellar and dig out all my old power supplies showing an output voltage of 5V or 6V. One of the 6V ones was actually supplying 8.9V, but I found an old Amstrad one that I measured at 6.7V. Unfortunately it was centre-negative, so I've rewired it to be centre positive and it appears to work with my motor controller. I may test drive it properly this evening.

(I also found a couple of Nokia phone chargers labelled as 5.7V that actually appeared to be about 6.2V, but they had the wrong size plug on.)

James

cut the plugs off, and wrap the bare wire around the terminals where the batteries would touch, linking up any 'middle' connectors in serial fashion.

That's an even uglier solution than cutting the plug off, twisting the wires back to together the other way around and wrapping them with insulting tape :)

I would have taken the unit apart and resoldered the wires to the opposite feed, but I couldn't get the case apart.

James

Archived