NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stand alone autoguiders - advice please

rocketandroll

Hi all

Ok, having done some unguided imaging and well and trully 'caught the bug' as it were... I am now starting actively planning to take the next step and get guiding.

For the time being... I am sticking to my original plan which was to get the best stand-alone imaging set up I can for taking to star parties and remote sites... that doesn't need me to take a laptop with me.

I will later be getting a full computer based imaging set up once I move in a year or two and have a darker garden.

So... I am looking at the stand-alone autoguiders and wondering what people's opinions are?

I am guessing the options (that I've found) are:

The SW Synguider

The Celestron NexGuide

The Baader LVI Smartguider

So... the first two look a little bit 'cheap and nasty' to me... the latter is more expensive and looks a little more professional...

Has anyone got practical experience with any and can you tell me your thoughts/advice?

Cheers all

Ben

I have the Baader SG2, but as yet I have not yet used it in anger.

It certainly looks the biz. though, and I'm confident it will do a good job.

It has a dedicated Autostar guide port, which attracted me to it, as I have Meade SCT. Also, it can control a DSLR camera, as well as guiding for CCD imaging. All without the aid of a computer.

There is a review on the SG2 KIT in Mays Issue of Sky at Night magazine by Steve Richards, (Steppenwolf).

Ron.

I have the Baader SG2, but as yet I have not yet used it in anger.

It certainly looks the biz. though, and I'm confident it will do a good job.

It has a dedicated Autostar guide port, which attracted me to it, as I have Meade SCT. Also, it can control a DSLR camera, as well as guiding for CCD imaging. All without the aid of a computer.

There is a review on the SG2 KIT in Mays Issue of Sky at Night magazine by Steve Richards, (Steppenwolf).

Ron.

Thanks... will have a look at the May issue when it's out... I really should get a subscription!

I trust Steve's opinion... will definitely have a look at that.

Ben

Thanks... will have a look at the May issue when it's out... I really should get a subscription!

I trust Steve's opinion... will definitely have a look at that.

Ben

My apologies to Steve. Of course I meant Richards, .and I've edited the posts accordingly

I made the same mistake at Astrofest. I saw Steve Chambers on the Atik stand, and told him he wasn't who he was claiming to be. :)

I always get the two mixed up. I won't ever again now though.:(

Hello Ben,

I know the Baader LVI1 and 2 and also the Synguider and the one that really beats all three of them is the Lacerta Mgen

Lacerta MGEN stand alone auto guider - no PC required

This is a phantastic autoguider with subpixel algorythm, EOS camera controll, full record of the guiding process and a camera sensor that is much more sentive than the others.

I used it in combination with my EOS cameras and also now with my Atik 383.

I can use it with an Off-axia guider as well as with a 9x50 finderscope.

The algorythm is that clever that very short focals can be used for guiding.

For example, I can take photos with my TS 80/480 Apo +Atik 383 and guide it with a 9x50 finderscope on top of the instrument.

Best regards

Chris

There have been three rather negative threads recently on the Synguider. That doesn't prove anything and I can't remember exactly where they were, but one member had decided to sell his and two others had the mount zooming off in the wrong direction for reasons inexplicable. Others do get them to work.

Personally I wouldn't fancy computerless imaging for a fairly large number of reasons but I see your point of view. And in general I loathe comuters!

Olly

And in general I loathe comuters!

:)

I remember reading somewhere recently that using a diagonal with a guider would confuse the hell out of it... makes sense, I think, if it inverts or flips the view. Unless I'm very much mistaken (highly likely).

:)

I remember reading somewhere recently that using a diagonal with a guider would confuse the hell out of it... makes sense, I think, if it inverts or flips the view. Unless I'm very much mistaken (highly likely).

It isn't a problem, as Psychobilly says. Although Steve disagrees I acually quite like the idea because a diagonal gives you a shorter moment on the end of the drawtube. I don't use one at the moment but have done so and seen others do so without any issues.

Olly

Nice specs on that Lacerta, but at £450 :), it would be a struggle to justify upgrading from my Synguider.

As the Baader is over £400 anyway, it's not a big jump, assuming the thing is better than the rest.

Thanks for pointing that one out Chris, hadn't seen it before.

Hmmm... yeah, the negative threads about Synguiders had kind of already put me off them, plus being a product designer, and having seen one in the flesh... they did look a bit too... well... Chinese for my liking :-)

Looks like it's a toss up between the Baader and the Lacerta....

I'm planning to use it through an ST80 or similar guide scope btw.

The Eos control on both is also useful, I'm currently using a seperate digital remote to run imaging sequences on the Eos.

Anyone got any personal experience with the Baader?

Ben

It isn't a problem, as Psychobilly says. Although Steve disagrees I acually quite like the idea because a diagonal gives you a shorter moment on the end of the drawtube. I don't use one at the moment but have done so and seen others do so without any issues.

Olly

True, and it can make it much easier to read the display when imaging at high angles.

I have the LVI 1 and all I can report is that it does work. BUT, in my experience it needs a fast scope (I use a WO66 at f4.4) and focus it vital. The supplied parfocal EP is junk. Use the number on the paddle to get the focus number to 6 or less and i can get 10 minutes no problem.

On the downside there is no active display of the guidestar but you do get a graph of the adjustments being sent to the mount.

Cheers

Archived