Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Nebula at SGL6

G2EWS

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a quick go at Peter's upload in post #46

Mostly levels and curves, neatimage (noise reduction plugin) and a few of noles tools for colour bloch reduction ect and a splach of gradentx all in photoshop.

Not sure what was going on in the bottom right corner but I very crudly cloned it out so there may well be a few new stars in that section.:)

Mike.

Edit* forgot to say I used some layer maskes to maintain the core, with This method

post-13376-133877566477_thumb.jpg

Wow,

Some seriously good work there guys I am mightily impressed. Thanks to everyone for showing me what can be done, I am very grateful for all your efforts. Hopefully you have enjoyed messing as well!

You can see the smudges on the sensor in some of these attempts. Thank goodness all cleaned now!

The photoshop bit I think I get, but it was DSS that was giving me a headache. When I first stacked, the three colour curves were together but I think to far to the left. With the green very well spread as opposed to the others which were very sharp. I guess sharp and pointy is the best as this is what I have seen in various tutorials.

I brought the green in by moving the ends - dark and light ends of the curve. I then moved all three over to the right and made them sit on top of each other. It was this action that seemed very vague and kept changing the colour dramatically.

So based on what you have all done in DSS and what I have attempted is anyone knowledgeable enough to explain what I might have done wrong?

Best regards

Chris

Initially I tried sorting the colours out in DSS and in the end just used the Autosave.tif file (raw stack without any processing) and sorted it out in CS...

Its still not right but thats down to the relatively poor response of the sensor to to the lovely red HA..

Just finished cutting the lawns , photographing this weeks wildflowers and will have a look at the data again after I have had some grub...

Peter...

First of all well done on the capture. There is so much to learn but you have the data.

I think Dennis made a great post. What emerges are cultural differences between forums. I get kind and enthusiastic comments on the French forum but by heck, if I have the background value below about 12 or a slightly non- circular star in a corner they are onto it!! Personally I'm glad about this because it has improved my imaging.

I absolutely agree with Dennis (and the French!) on background sky and now bust a gut not to clip it. I do think there is black in the sky but only in some of the very sooty dust often found in active emission regions. In order to show for what it is, the background sky must be light enough. There is some in this N America, for instance, and I will stand by this black as genuine;

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Photography/Widefield-images-including/NAN-FINISHED/1140503434_oQfB2-X3.jpg

Olly

Archived