Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Nebula at SGL6

G2EWS

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want others to have a go why not crop the original un-stretched TIFF so that only the important bit is left. The acres of black sky will not teach you anything. Then you can upload a small (2MB?) TIFF in no time.

Dennis

I'm afraid they are way too big for my broadband. I will be here until July grabbing that lot.

A 1000 pix wide 16bit TIFF without any stretching at all will enable 95% of the work to be done. Even if you post it as a jpeg without any compression it allows a lot to be done. Downloads then are just a few seconds.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Just trying to save as a smaller tiff with less sky and it is not making much difference so not sure what settings to make it as small as you suggest?

Best regards

Chris

if it comes out of your camera at 3000 odd pixels wide an RGB image would be enormous. If you crop out the interesting bit and re-size that to a max of 500 wide it will be a lot smaller. As mentioned, even if you save it as an 8bit jpeg at 1000 pix wide it will still be possible to do some useful processing. Anything to avoid 60MB downloads.

So long as it does not get any stretching prior to posting.

Dennis

These should work as starting points..

It's the main ROI (M42/43 and NGC1977) Rotated and Cropped the 10 raw files were registered and stacked in DSS and an ArcsinH Transfer function applied the black level was adjusted in CS5 leaving plenty of room below the data ...

Quarter Scale 16 bit Tiff 617x810 pixels 2.88MB

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8191904/G2EWS_M42%20Rotate%20and%20Crop%20QS.tif

And Half Scale 16 Bit Tiff 1233x1620 pixels 11.4MB

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8191904/G2EWS_M42%20Rotate%20and%20Crop%20HS.tif

I will have a play later....

Peter...

These haven't really been processed yet.. just the basics... have a go and see what you can get out of them...

There a bit in there but the relatively short exposure soon shows itself as it takes on a posterized look probably made worse by the mix of exposure lengths and ISO settings... you really need more subs at each setting to have something to work with..

You can get a nice trap region out of it but it starts to fall apart when you try and bring out the faint stuff...

Saying that Dennis might get more out of it...

Peter...

Well done, Chris, a great start to your imaging! It looks like you've got some really good data in there, I gave up on my first efforts for months thinking I had nothing at all but it's surprising how much can be hidden in there!!

There was a big jump in the FWHM values with the last file and as a result it "score" drops in DSS...

Dont know if there was a bit of dew forming onthe optics or a bit more moisture in the air...

I have had a play with the files but still cant get something I am happy with ... arrgghhh!!!! but then again its only around 6 1/2 mins exposure ...

I had a go at the smaller file but couldn't beat any sense into it colourwise. Good mid range signal and definition but the fainter edges, as Peter said, are very frail. Badly posterised and un-workable.

I tried the bigger file and twice got some gobbledegook about end-of-file and PS can't open it.

I also found the Running Man to have run off. He is distinctly there in my re-work of the jpeg but not in the TIF. Is this down to DSS and the arcsinh stretch?

Dennis

Possibly Dennis...

I went hunting for him as well.. but at around 45 mins to 1 hour to stack the 9 files I am passing on it for now...

Did you notice the mismatch between the Red channel compared to the Green and Blue... showed up once you split the histograms...

Peter...

Dennis - If your still around try working from this one.. looks a lot more promising...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8191904/G2EWS_M42%20Rotate%20and%20Crop%20v3%20small.tif

Hi

Here is my go, don't ask exactly what I did as I don't know myself really.Just played around a bit, but just basic curves, levels and colour balance in Photoshop CS4.

I used DSS for stacking, and didn't use 8502 and 8505.

EDIT: Oh, it's cropped aswell, I don't know how to get rid of the other bad bits.

Cheers

Grant

post-21699-133877566407_thumb.jpg

had a quick bash at the latest one, it is quite different from the previous file. Much more blue and the Running Man has come back. I overdid it somewhere with half my mind on what I'm having for lunch. Some colour noise evident and it looks posterised in places although the histogram doesn't show it.

Dnnis

post-15519-133877566438_thumb.jpg

Archived