Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Viewing Moon during the day

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

hayju01

hayju01

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 927 posts
With the moon about during the day, it seems a waste to let it sit there unviewed. I took a stab yesterday and got some images but the effort involved was tremendous. Two problems 1. Finding and focusing and 2. tracking - not able to do star alignment on GOTO mount.
Any advice most welcome.
Justin
Sible Hed, Essex
C9.25 on NEQ6, Baader Steeltrack, Hyperion MkIII, DFK21AU618, QHY8 Pro, Meade DSI II - mono
2x Philips SPC900NC, Dell XPS17 & XPS 8100

lookhigh

lookhigh

Star Forming

• Members
  • 134 posts
What i do is setup/aling early morning and park scope, then use during the day. Beware of the sun when tracking..
SkyLiner 300P FlexTube SynScan GO-TO.
Baader Hyperion III 8-24 Zoom
Relevation 2" 2X ED Barlow
2" SWA 38mm

Binos: Vivitar PV 8X22, Tasco WPC 8X40, H.D.B. 7X50.
The SKY 6 Pro.

yeti monster

yeti monster

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,988 posts
I use a camera....

...oh, and binoculars...

Edited by yeti monster, 10 April 2011 - 10:30 AM.

Ask not what your god can do for you, ask instead, what can you do for yourself.

North West Englandshire, near some other forumeers but far away from others. Also rather close to an astronomy centre. Occasionally in the South China sea too.

An entire forest of telescopes, whopping HUGE 20x80 binos, a veritable plethora of EPs, collimators, star charts and wild ideas. And a HUGE, mean, evil and downright bad tempered dawg. :rolleyes:

Kai

Kai

Bright Giant

• Global Mods
  • 11,888 posts
I used to roughly polar align mine (using a compass to find north) and then select Lunar tracking whilst slewing using the "arrow buttons" ,always seemed to work.

valleyman

valleyman

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,417 posts
If you put the scope in HOME POSITION each time you finish using it........Or PARK on some mounts. If you set it up more or less in the same position the next time you use it.....just change the date and time on the handset and and select yes when it asks you if you want to go back to the Park or HOME poesition......it will get you close to your target

Skywatcher 80ED Pro on Skywatcher EQ5 Goto

Opticatar 90 guide camera with Opticstar PL 131 CCD

, Skywatcher 150PDS

Canon 600D Atik 314L+ OSC

palebluedot

palebluedot

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 709 posts
I reckon golf tees, all the way in where the feet of your tripod was set the last time aligned. Not great if you collapse the tripod and don't fully extend it mind you. And would not work very well on concrete.
Lee.

NEQ6 Pro Synscan, EQ3-2 (driven). Skywatcher Explorer 200P DS, Explorer 150P, ST80, Celestron Skymaster 15x70
Orion Epic ED-2 (7.5mm, 18mm, 25mm), Orion Shorty-Plus 2X barlow, Baader Laser Collimator mkIII. Rigel QuikFinder, Telrad
Canon EOS 1100D (modified), EOS 5D, EOS 20D, Philips SPC880NC (flashed to SPC900NC) and QHY5

MorningMajor

MorningMajor

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,076 posts
Does your goto allow you to do a Solar System Align? so that you can select the Moon for the alignment object?

Sim

Ursa Major

Ursa Major

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 258 posts
If you test the alignment on the moon during the day and it is spot on, can you then view bright planets (eg venus or jupiter) aswell using the go-to. I dont know if this will work. you might only be able to see them very faintly.
I'd be very interested to know if anyone has done this.

Edited by Ursa Major, 10 April 2011 - 06:26 PM.

Laurie

SW heritage 130p + standard eps, 10x42 bins
Limiting magnitude: 4.5-5.0
As of March 2011:
Messier
: 101/110
, Herschel: 53/400, Caldwell: 19/109, Lunar: 47/100, Supernovae: 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users