NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

23 October, 2015: Big prom in H-alpha, and the SUNoculars' first light

After some frustrating skies in which the sun played a game of "now you see me, now you don't" the skies cleared enough for me to use the SolarMax 60, and of course test the SUNoculars in the first proper light. With the SUNoculars I could readily spot 4 sunspots, and even some regions of faculae, particularly near the sunspot close to the western limb. I found that quite surprising

In H-alpha, the view was dominated by a huge, low arc on the south-eastern limb. Going up to 80x with the Pentax XW5, the amount of detail was stunning. There is also a nice AR north of centre disk, with a sizeable sunspot, trailed by a smaller one and a string of filaments. Several other ARs were visible, but I kept returning to the wonderful detail in the sheets of plasma folded into complex structures in the huge arc. A short, stubby prom adorns the western limb as well. Lots to see today. Very pleased with the performance of the XW5!

Nice report Michael :laugh:

I was using the XW 20mm with the Quark the last time sol made an appearance here and I too was very impressed with the performance, fantastic photographic type views :laugh:

Michael,

I saw it too!

I was surprised at the size and how is seemed to run parallel to the curvature of the sun. Amazing texture in the arc, as you said.

I spent almost an hour looking at it, in between scanning around the disk.

Scope used was a Lunt THa60 with 8mm 70 degree ep, so 62.5x magnification.

Made me wish I had brought my 5mm ep with me....

Gordon.

Archived