SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Problem with EQ5 and Synscan

kroy

Hi,

I have a EQ5 mount which I use on my 200 PDS and synscan goto system. I used this in summers and was working fine and then the mount was kept in my garage for around 2-3 mounts and now when I took this out - Its behaving silly.

First it started screaching a lot and then its going crazy on RA Axis.

It will start rotating in one direction and then will stop and start rotating in the opposite direction - all while I keep holding the same button.

For any speed less than 7 it does not even start moving.

I applied some lubricant but neither it helped with the noise and obviously not with this rotation.

Any advise please ?? ?:(

What version of the firmware is your handset running? A mate had a simialr error for some reason, but we updated the firmware and it resolved the issue.

If it's a broken handset, you can pick them up relatively cheaply now.

James

What version of the firmware is your handset running? A mate had a simialr error for some reason, but we updated the firmware and it resolved the issue.

If it's a broken handset, you can pick them up relatively cheaply now.

James

thats a good point - its an old firmware but I thought since it was working fine it should continue to work but anyways - I will update the handset and test and will let you know. 

Thanks for the advise !!

The PSU needs to supply a constant voltage, i use as do a lot of other people a 13.8v 5amp Maplins unit, FLO also sell them, check you power light if it flickers while in use its lacking enough power....

I was trying to connect it to the mains and use it- for portable power I have a 12v unit  that I bought from TESCO

http://www.tesco.com/direct/4-in-1-power-pack-jump-start-portable-power-usb-power-supply-and-led-torch/141-1002.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=141-1002

I was trying to connect it to the mains and use it- for portable power I have a 12v unit  that I bought from TESCO

http://www.tesco.com/direct/4-in-1-power-pack-jump-start-portable-power-usb-power-supply-and-led-torch/141-1002.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=141-1002

What type of psu was you using ?  If the mains psu doesn't meet the minimum requirements to power the mount, it (the mount) will behave erratically and maybe stop working altogether. 

Hi,

I had the exact same problem earlier this year. I tried changing psu. Didn't help.

The problem was moisture.

I've put the hand controller in a transparent plastic bag, wrapped tight around the cable and haven't had any problem since.

Good luck,

/TW

Hi,

I had the exact same problem earlier this year. I tried changing psu. Didn't help.

The problem was moisture.

I've put the hand controller in a transparent plastic bag, wrapped tight around the cable and haven't had any problem since.

Good luck,

/TW

Oh - so in your case the problem was not the mount but the hand controller. Which might be the case with me too since my hand controller was also kept in the garage. (And it is still there)

I will take it out and on a good sunny day (Hopefully to still get it in UK) will keep it in sun. I will also update the firmware and will try again and see how it works.

Thanks for the advise.

I once had some corrosion on a HEQ5pro Synscan connector. Perhaps it's worth checking the plugs and sockets.

P

thanks for the reply !!

Is the connector that you are mentioning the one that connects the EQ5 mount to he hand controller ?

Archived