NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stacking cr2 images, is it possible in DSS

Hey guys,

Last night at a really dark site, and the Astro gods decided to play dodge the clouds with me. As the moon is so bright but I didn't want to waste a night on "proper kit" I decided to play dodge the clouds with them and take loads of stills of the moon using a canon eos 1000d. Forgot it does not have a video mode like my other camera DOH. :). So question is, can I stack the resulting frames in DSS using darks and flats as per DSO imaging or should I use registax after converting the CR2 files.

Any help appreciated. Loads of good data but unsure how to process as evey one has gone to bed :(

Use the DPP software that comes with the camera to convert the RAW files to 16-bit TIFFs then you can use either Registax V5.1 or Autostakkert2 (AS!2) to stack them.

Check out JamesF's tutorial here to get you started ... http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/184192-full-disc-lunar-imaging-with-a-dslr/?hl=%2Blunar+%2Bstacking#entry1937750

PIPP for centering and cropping for sure , but DPP for RAW to TIFF always gives me better results ...  :smiley:

It's a breeze to batch process with , I always shoot sets of 100 frames at a time and then have DPP converting one set while I'm shooting the next.

DPP can do so much more than just converting files , it allows endless control of your Canon RAW files ... as you'd expect from software written by Canon ...  :smiley:

Archived