Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

South Wales: Darker (than Blaenavon) site suggestions

mister_wavey

Hey guys, compared to my garden, the horizon views at the Blaenavon site are really great, but I'd very much like to try and get somewhere darker.

I'm thinking of trying Usk Reservoir 51.947894,-3.702638. Can anyone comment on the horizon views there?

Dai, you mentioned your site at the last meet, what dates would work for you for a meet there?

I'm sure I remember Paul being there a few weeks ago and met up with a few aother astronomers so its a popular and well regarded location but never been there myself though the skies when you start heading into Mid Wales and away from the Valleys and Cardiff are in a different league to hoem (mine at least)

I'm sure if he see's the post he'll chirp in and give you some feedback

I've looked at this location on Google Earth, but have not driven there to check it out yet. The road doesn't appear to be gated, and it looks easy to get to by taking the road to Trefin off the A465 roundabout and heading up the mountain.

51*  49'  41.25" N  -  3*  18'  14.70" W

Edit: Has anyone been there before ?

The Philippines?! :D

I don't think the LP would be too good in Manila. ;)

Cut and paste: Google Maps didn't like the *s!

I've yet to check out a site down on the coast near me which would definitely be better than my back garden, but probably not as good as Blaenavon.

You're all just a bit too far away for me!

If it does come off I will post, as it might be of use to anyone this side of the M4. :)

I've looked at this location on Google Earth, but have not driven there to check it out yet. The road doesn't appear to be gated, and it looks easy to get to by taking the road to Trefin off the A465 roundabout and heading up the mountain.

51*  49'  41.25" N  -  3*  18'  14.70" W

Edit: Has anyone been there before ?

Sorry, that's " Trefil " not Trefin.  :embarassed:

Cool, Mike, I'll try that when I get the chance. It's only about 30 mins away from me.

I think its roughly about 30 minutes away from me too. I'll try to check it out also the next time my Wife and I head up to Dowlais Top on our shopping round.

On my way back from Swansea today I drove half way up the road to the Trefil co-ordinates above. It was still pretty snowy up there, so I didn't go the whole way up. Lots of pot holes in the road, but certainly passable. Feels like it'll be very dark up there - deffo gonna try it out :)

Hi Stuart, 

Good judgement call, with the current conditions it makes sense to err on the side of safety.

Dorothy & I just got back from Dowlais, but decided to post pone the run up to Trefil after seeing the amount of residual snow.

On a positive note, a new B&M Store opened today next to Buyology, off the road behind Asda, Its HUGE ! ! ! !   :shocked:  

Archived