Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problem with stacked image

I took a whole series of images of M31 whilst in the Canary Islands, and I did stack some of them along with the calibration frames. However, for some reason I seem to be struggling to pull detail out of the DSS file. Can anyone tell me why the saved image from DSS is so dark compared to the final stacked image you see on the screen at the end of the stacking procedure? I think this might have been why I was having trouble pulling the detail back out. I have included the image exactly as it came out of DSS below.

I ended up just seeing what I could do with a single sub. Turns out I've probably produced my best ever image of the subject from this one frame!

Why am I making a better image from a single frame, instead of a stacked & fully calibrated file??

The first image is a single, uncalibrated frame. The 2nd image is a 23 frame, fully calibrated stack exactly as it came out of DSS.

post-15011-0-36766900-1419102058_thumb.j

post-15011-0-89320700-1419102130_thumb.j

The stacked file (the final result file) is always VERY dark when viewed in DSS.

Normally once you open it in PS its perfectly fine.

If you want to email me the file - please feel free and I'll have a look (ant@stargazerslounge.com).

Cheers

Ant

I took 35 subs last night of Orion got home put them through DSS and it says only one image will be stacked , still cant get my head round it

Have you got the latest version installed? I was having the same issue until I updated the version I had 

So, It is not an issue, or problem - it is as should be.

Stacked picture is dark because the final file is a 16 or 32-bit (recommend for further processing), which has a very wide tonal record allowing us to pull out what we want during processing in graphic software(like PS, etc.). Also, making any corrections in the final image in DSS is NOT RECOMMENDED - possible data lost.

The stacked file (the final result file) is always VERY dark when viewed in DSS.

Normally once you open it in PS its perfectly fine.

If you want to email me the file - please feel free and I'll have a look (ant@stargazerslounge.com).

Cheers

Ant

Done!

Thanks

Archived