Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Please help..... Heq5 200p

Hiya guys and gals.

I am treating myself to a sw 200p and heq5 pro synscan. I had a celestron sky prodigy 6 but due to poor conditions and london light pollution I never really got on with it and sadly never got the starsense camera to align! I'd rather go back to basics and align my new mount myself.

Is this new mount and scope a good choice? Can anyone help with tips for polar alignment and do I have to do polar alignment just for visual use?

Hope for clear sky's

I think that both the scope and the mount are pretty good. If you are going to be using the telescope from the same location each time, try  marking the ground. Once polar aligned, I placed three small decorative bricks into the lawn (70p each from the garden centre). If I'm in a rush, I just plonk the tripod onto the bricks and I know that the setup is both level and pretty close to north.

I think 4ah translats to 4 amp in one hour, or in the case of a HEQ5 around 2 hours slewing, but it will get a red flaching light long before that, this means its not getting the right amount of volts, so tracking will suffer......get a mains PSU and run a low voltage cable from inside your house out the the mount, will be very stable and the GoTo will work properly....

This type of PSU

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html

Yep, I second the view of a PSU. I used a 7ah powertank for a couple of years. It was okay, but I'd only get 2-3 hours use out of it. When it eventually died on my (I accidentally let it completely drain), my option was to either buy another powertank for £100, or buy a PSU for £30, that would never drain. Just be careful when using extension leads etc- a trip hazard at night, but more importantly, dew can build up on the plug. I also cover the plug and socket over with a plastic bucket just in case it ever rains when I nip indoors for a cup of tea!

Archived