Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wind-high speed air particles,how do you get air particles to move that quickly without heat?

U might think this is a question that is a bit odd yeah,but I think it was worth posting.Wind is created due to the Earth rotating around it's own axis I think an due to the diffrences in heat in the atmosphere.So if wind is fast moving air particles don't they bash into each other and heat up because at that speed u so get quite a lot kf heat.Look over a fire u see the air particles going faster due to heat So if the speed of particles increased by heat can't the speed of particles increase also? Could the planets heat up theorselves by this since the speeds of wind on other planets are really fast.Could this make weather forecasting a bit more precise?

Thanx,Astrodob

They probably do strike each other, but as the atmosphere at our habitable levels on Earth is not so dense there is no heating effect that we would notice.

The winds are created by circulation around high and low pressure areas, the durection they spin is I believe related to whether they are in the Northern or Southern hemisphere.

More heat equals more energy which equals more chaos so less precise.

Heat as such may increase the speed of the particals but it is not directional, the movement is random, some left, some right, some up some down so no wind, as such, is created by heat. As said by SW pressure differences cause wind as this draws the air mass in a given direction and this is wind.

The pressure differences themselves are caused by uneven heating over the earths surface.

Equatorial zones get the most heat, the air warms up and becomes less sense, it rises, this air is replaced by cooler air from higher latitudes. The warmed air moves to higher latitudes, cools and descends. Coriolis force changes the direction of the air as it rises or falls.

Similar happens in pressure fronts.

A good example is monsoon weather, Asia heats up in the summer, the air becomes less dense and rises, this causes a huge low pressure area that remains fairly stationary. In the winter the opposite happens.

Back to the question about heat and speed, it doesn't work like that ;)

They are not moving fast relative to each other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The heat comes from the sun, this provides the convection which once affected by coriolis force produces wind.

There is too little information available on any of the gas giants to fully understand their weather systems. We know very little about what goes on inside them but their weather patterns show similarity to our own just on a much larger scale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

U might think this is a question that is a bit odd yeah,but I think it was worth posting.Wind is created due to the Earth rotating around it's own axis I think an due to the diffrences in heat in the atmosphere.So if wind is fast moving air particles don't they bash into each other and heat up because at that speed u so get quite a lot kf heat.Look over a fire u see the air particles going faster due to heat So if the speed of particles increased by heat can't the speed of particles increase also? Could the planets heat up theorselves by this since the speeds of wind on other planets are really fast.Could this make weather forecasting a bit more precise?

Thanx,Astrodob

Try this book for size. It explains the basics of physics and understanding these will give you a good grounding in this type of question:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Six-Easy-Pieces-Fundamentals-Explained/dp/0140276661

The OP makes two mistakes: 1) is to think that wind is caused by Earth's rotation, 2) is to think that molecular collision necessarily produces heat.

1. Weather is an effect driven by energy. Nearly all of that energy comes from the sun, which heats the atmosphere, producing convection, i.e. making air move. Irregularity of the Earth's surface (ocean versus land, high versus low etc) creates complexity in this motion. The rotation of the Earth also contributes, making large air masses rotate (Coriolis effect). This is how we get wind.

2. The atmosphere consists of molecules in motion. The average kinetic energy of a bunch of molecules is termed its temperature. The total energy is heat. Individual molecules do not have heat or temperature, they have kinetic energy. Heat and temperature are bulk properties. If I have a bunch of molecules with a certain heat and temperature, it means that individual molecules can have widely ranging velocities, which keep changing as they collide and interact, but in the absence of external influence the total stays the same (conservation of energy), and the average will also stay the same. If a fast molecule hits a slow one, the faster gets slower and the slower gets faster. It's different if the system is not isolated: consider some warm air inside a cold metal flask. Air molecules will impart kinetic energy to the metal, so the metal warms and the air cools until equilibrium is reached.

• 5 weeks later...

Winds on Neptune attain very high speed because ironically there is so little heat energy driving them. Whereas winds on Earth are vigorous enough to cause turbulence which reduces speed the gases in Neptunes atmosphere move gently enough to stay smooth as they gradually accelerate (laminar flow)

Archived