Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is this acceptable or only 30 mins of data ???

Stevie P

Due to unforseen circumstance, I only managed to get 15 x 2 min subs of M31, but I went ahead and stacked them anyway, and the attached images (each slightly diFerent process methods) are what I got.

My question to the members of the forum is as in the title, "is this acceptable with so little data", and would a couple of hours more improve it drastically. All comments welcomed (Photoshop skills limited and I think I have over-streched by a Fair degree)

Thanks in advance

Steve

Unmodded Canon 1000D, SW200P, HEQ5, Unguided

Lights 15 x 2 mins

Darks  15 x 2 mins

Flats 15

Bias  15

post-28743-0-83015600-1383491900_thumb.j     post-28743-0-94360100-1383491910_thumb.j

looks better than my 10h of data...

You might wanna use layering technique in order to not over expose the core in order to get the details in the outer dust clouds though. There's a good tutorial online for doing that, but I don't have time to google it for you as I am omw out. :)

And yes, this is good for 30 minutes... I'd dare say very good.

Something's happened to the colour! This is to do with DSS settings and can easily be rectified. A DSS/DSLR user will appear and sort that out, I'm sure. I use other kit so can't help on that.

For the rest, the core of M31 is very bright so your sub lengths are perhaps optimal for that part and where it's bright the signal to noise is fine here. The further you go from the bright core, though, the more the noise is building. See the grainy pattern? For this region more (and longer) subs would be a huge help. You could then combine them in layers in Photoshop or use other high dynamic range techniques. SOme other SGLers and I did a 47.5 hour collaborative M31 so more data wouldn't go amiss!!

You've made a very good job of the core, keeping it smooth all the way in. We often see a hard-edged, saturated inner ring from beginners. M31 is not at all an easy target because of the high dynamic range. Good going.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

looks better than my 10h of data...

You might wanna use layering technique in order to not over expose the core in order to get the details in the outer dust clouds though. There's a good tutorial online for doing that, but I don't have time to google it for you as I am omw out. :)

And yes, this is good for 30 minutes... I'd dare say very good.

I think I may have watched a instuctional video on Layer Masks here :-  http://www.eprisephoto.com/layer-masks

But havent had a chance at trying it yet.

Archived