Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First time looking at a Galaxy (ever)

Warden

Took the opportunity last night to get my scope out to view the Andromeda galaxy which I had discovered earlier that day was an "easy to find" deep sky object. I must say I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. In the middle of a large public field at the edge of Salisbury plain (5 minute walk from where I live) I setup and sat down for some coffee whilst it cooled down and the sky opened up, immediately recognising the great square of Pegasus, and tracking two bright stars across to Mirach, and then two up from there and then I was on it, not a bad night for scanning the skies for sure, managed to pick up two satellites whilst looking for Andromeda Galaxy as well totally unexpected as they zipped across my FOV. Can't help but feel very small when viewing this type of thing. The worst part about it is I now have a substantial "wishlist" on First Light Optics store for equipment I 'need' :lol:

All the best and clear skies,

Tim

Good stuff Tim.

I got out last night as well - didn't manage to leave until 30 mins past sunset and was driving through country lanes trying to find somewhere to set up! Was worth it though, beautiful night. I too had Andromeda framed and a satellite whizzed by North to South. Maybe we were both watching at the same time.

Small world.

Lovely report..lots of galaxy targets out there as we go in the autumn...

i recommend trying ngc 7331 at the moment up and right of that Pegasus square.

you will need a good chart and star hoping skill or a goto but its worth the effort.

Mark

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to keep my eye out for those. Unfortunately I didn't get the ring nebula last night but I was tired and perhaps wasn't the best time to be looking, I'll keep trying though. Didn't stop me from seeing a few star clusters and M31 again, which is always pretty awesome.

I looked at the Anromeda galaxy myself on Tuesday night, hadn't seen it for 35 yrs when I was a teenager in our backyard, I was absolutely delighted when it drifted into the FOV and just seemed to glow, watched it for a few mins before moving on to Altair, while I was looking for the colours a satellite cruised through the view, so silent and wonderful to see.

Neil.

Rarely a winter session goes by without me taking a look at M31. Two nights ago I was lucky enough to be observing from Powys in Mid Wales and M31's companion galaxies M31 and M110 really jumped out at me!

I had never noticed them before, but they were hard to miss from this dark location. I will make a point of looking for them next time I'm observing closer to home.

Funny to think I've looked at this object so many times and never noticed the other galaxies so close!

• 3 weeks later...

Good stuff and glad you were sure of what you were seeing!  When I first saw Andromeda locally (with the local LP issues) it was a toss up what I was actually looking at.  In fact, I'd say I haven't really seen it properly yet.  I'm keen to have a shot at it with bins at a true dark site.

• 1 year later...

Gonna necro my own thread lol. So 2 years have passed nearly lots has happened (including the birth of my baby boy #proudDad), but my enthusiasm towards astronomy definitely hasn't dampened any. In no particular order:

1) Bought a new scope - Celestron Nexstar Evolution 6

2) Bought a new camera - Canon EOS1100d

3) Done some digiscoping with my mobile phone - not bad results for a mobile I think

4) licensed a copy of backyardEOS and learning the ropes of lights, darks, flats and bias shots

5) bought an ASI120MC CMOS camera (arrived today haven't yet had a chance to try it out)

6) booked a camping weekend with some like minded amateur astronomers at work (this weekend - very much looking forward to it)

7) probably the most significant is I started a blog with a mate at work to document as I learn things (as well as other space orientated interests) (I'm solarTim and done most of the posts thus far) - https://astronomynewbies.wordpress.com/

Feel free to check out the blog, leave comments, check out the pictures and I've reviewed the two scopes that I own just based on my own experience with them. I do find blogging about it does help to maintain a high level of interest rather than waxing and waning interest in other hobbies. I finally did get the ring nebula in my eye piece ;-) and it was glorious, tried to photo it but strangely the mobile could only pick up the blue out of the inner bit and haven't managed to get my EOS aligned with it yet. I do find without an Equatorial mount that anything longer than 30 second exposures causes a few issues with star trails and the tracking motion of the Altazimuth mount, so I'm learning that lots of short exposures stacked seems to work better for me than longer exposures at the moment, been eyeing up one of those equatorial wedges for the mount but OMG they're expensive!!!

Anyways, that's me done, looking forward to the weekend, praying the clouds part for us up there :)

Clear skies everyone,

Tim

Archived