NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I think I broke my brand new giro mount...HELP!!

emadmoussa

OK, I'm trying not to panic...

I received the mount 3 hours ago...

Sat down to put it together...all OK until I wanted to attach the head to the top of the extension .... it took me ages and a lot of power to squeeze it in. I think I damaged my wrist in the process.

now It WON'T MOVE - it's stiff as hell....I need to use all my strength to get it to spin around half a circle...something went horribly wrong. What am I missing?? Did I kill my mount...? There's no way I could ever pull it out.

Look at the pictures please.

post-27451-0-48432700-1377716840_thumb.j

post-27451-0-57927400-1377716850_thumb.j

post-27451-0-04867400-1377716863_thumb.j

post-27451-0-87248200-1377717044_thumb.j

post-27451-0-03218200-1377717071_thumb.j

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emad, I think you need your very own personal engineer to help you with things like this.. I hope all is going to be okay and that you can find some comfort from the words on the front of Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy..

Did you push it on with the silver hand screw wound in..? I just wonder if you have made a burr on the inside...?

Emad, I think you need your very own personal engineer to help you with things like this.. I hope all is going to be okay and that you can find some comfort from the words on the front of Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy..

Did you push it on with the silver hand screw wound in..? I just wonder if you have made a burr on the inside...?

The locks were not screwd in when I push the extension in.

What's it like when it is under a load?

My Giro (Tele-Optic) is semi-stiff in both axis when nothing is on it! (This is 'normal' apparantly, even now, and I have owned it for a few years. In fact I purchased it secondhand from an SGL member who told me that). Under a load and OTA's balanced, both axis are smooth.

I would not try the lubricant (as suggested) just yet. I found out using something like WD-40 made the lubricant/grease very runny on an 'alt-az slo-mo' mount prior to me purchasing the Giro.

Since owning my Giro, the only thing I ever lubricate is the threads of the hand bolts on the saddle clamps and horizontal and vertical axis with a thin coat of Vaseline and nothing else after a clean with WD-40.

sorry if this seems a daft thing to ask but are you trying it with the silver handwheel (azimuth - i.e. the one on the side) loose?

try taking it out - does this help in either turning or in taking off the head?

usually the heads on these things do create suction when on and removing the handwheel might help take it off

otherwise, you do need to contact the supplier I fear.

Thinking about how my Giro-type mount works and attaches to the pillar extension, I'm wondering if there was, as with my mount, a small section of friction material that is normally pressed against the upright base pillar when the azimuth tension screw is tightened, so that the screw itself is not pressing against the pillar. Looking at the pics of how to assemble your pillar and attach the mount, I wonder if the said section of friction material (which might only be a few mm in length) could have slipped out of it's hole on the inside wall of the top section of the mount and become jammed against the pillar in the base as you pushed the top section onto the base section of the mount.

Hope that makes a little sense at least.

You probably over tightened that and shot the thread... :p

I doubt it, it's been wobbly the minute it came out from the box. I will call tomorrow to have it collected. The only problem is that tje extension was bought separately from the US...and cant detatch it. I guess I will return the mount with the extension attached...Im sure they'll figure it out :)

Archived