Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flocking a 6SE

13 hours ago, D33P said:

That's very impressive, especially a full frame from a C5.

Actually, vignetting would be an issue with full frame format, but not with more conventional, APS-C and smaller sensors.

Full frame with flocked C5 (first) - APS-C with flocked C5 (second)

vignetting_c5_full-frame.jpg

vignetting_c5_aps-c.jpg

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Is the baffle you refer to the inside of the tube that runs up effectively from the focuser end of the tube to the underside of the central mirror on the front glass please?

Yes, the small cylinder that goes through the primary mirror. You must flock the inside, leaving about 2 or 3 millimetres on each end unflocked in order to keep minimum vignetting.

Thank you for that, that will be an interesting one for me with the baby C70 but we'll see if I get success, game to have a go.

I wasn't sure before if it was the main tube inside like where the baffles are on a refractor.

2 hours ago, Leonardo_FL said:

You must flock the inside, leaving about 2 or 3 millimetres on each end unflocked in order to keep minimum vignetting.

Excuse me, the unflocked section must be longer on the back end to avoid extra vignetting.

• 4 months later...

Hi, friends!

Now I've just flocked a Sky-Watcher Mak 180 (Maksutov-Cassegrain f/15 180 mm) using a piece of adhesive black velour 100,5 mm wide and 255 mm long.

telescopio_skywatcher_mak_180.jpgeos_6d-mak_180.jpg

Here are the pics taken before flocking (left) and after flocking (right) using a Canon full-frame camera.

mak180_pic_b-f.jpgmak180_pic_a-f.jpg

Regards,

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have started flocking my Nexstar 6SE and I have been reading up on some threads here.  Does anyone know the dimensions of the primary mirror baffle tube (or only the rear baffle tube) as I am struggling find the correct dimensions for the cut.

br

Stian

• 1 year later...

Hi,

A few days ago I flocked another Mak-Cas: Celestron C90. This time, the improvement in photography is dramatic because the baffle tube has a flat shiny surface. You can see the poor contrast in the before flocking pic (up) versus the enhanced contrast in the after flocking pic (down), even with the second one being a backlit image.

c90_b-f.jpg

c90_a-f.jpg

The pics were taken with an APS-C camera attached to Mak 90 prime focus and are shown as the raw files without cropping. This time, I used a piece of adhesive black velour of 53x120 mm, leaving a few milimetres of the inner end of the baffle tube unflocked. A cylindrical stick helped me to perfectly stick the velour inside the thin tube of this small catadioptric telescope.

Regards,

Leo

Archived