SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Startravel vs evostar

That's useful, thanks.

I'm not sure, it was just on ASB and i must confess i thought it was an evostar which i've heard nots of good things about. But if i were to get a scope with faster optics than my f/11 mak i'd get one i could use to image dso's with, and i'm led to believe the CA on the startravel means it's not great for dso imaging.

Thanks

James

I've got a startravel 102. It does create a lot of fringing on planets, but I have also noticed it while imaging deep sky. Here's a link to one of my images, bode's nebula, http://www.flickr.com/photos/astro_allie/8010392176/in/photostream. You will notice fringing on some of the stars. However, I do love this scope, it's got very nice wide field views and I don't notice fringing while doing visual observing on DSOs.

That fringing on the stars in DSO imaging should be easily removed in my opinion. Software these days should be able to remove that I would've thought. Does the fringe change the colour of the object in the photo or actually add additional light/size? Like starpoint+fringe = bigger objects.

Find and replace colours in PS should eradicate that I'd hope.

That's useful, thanks.

I'm not sure, it was just on ASB and i must confess i thought it was an evostar which i've heard nots of good things about. But if i were to get a scope with faster optics than my f/11 mak i'd get one i could use to image dso's with, and i'm led to believe the CA on the startravel means it's not great for dso imaging.

Thanks

James

Neither the Startravel or standard Evostar ranges are really suited to DSO imaging. You want the Evostar Pro ED versions, either the ED80 or ED120. The ED100 is more suited to visual observing than imaging.

That fringing on the stars in DSO imaging should be easily removed in my opinion. Software these days should be able to remove that I would've thought. Does the fringe change the colour of the object in the photo or actually add additional light/size? Like starpoint+fringe = bigger objects.

Find and replace colours in PS should eradicate that I'd hope.

I think in my picture, it adds a ring of colour around the stars. Am not very experienced with post-processing, will need to take a look at how to do that. Am sure it's doable, I read in another post someone did this on an image taken with the same scope.

Archived