NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good 80mm refractor or CCD?

Well I've pretty much decided my permanent set up will include a C9.25 and a good quality refractor.

I'm currently delighted with my FPL53 80mm refractor but long term will be looking to replace with a good un but I'm also torn between persevering with my DSLR or going over to CCD.

So what would be best? A better scope or a move to CCD and filters? It will be dedicated to AP - looking at spending around £1500 (next year).

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

It's a tricky one - though I'd go for the CCD.

A nice mono CCD will set you back all of your 2013 budget on its own.

The filter wheel will be another £300-ish and a set of LRGB filters (get the parfocal ones) will be another £200.

The bad news is that, if you're like me, you'll want a set of narrow band filters as well. A set of Ha, Sii and O3 filters will be another £300 - so that looks like the 2014 budget is spoken for, too. :shocked:

Getting a better 80mm is going to be subjective at best unless you dig deep.

A CCD will give you a better step up for you money imo. The Mono vs OSC debate is of course the next step to consider.

(Edit)

A mono ccd setup might push your focuser you might need to consider a new focuser if you plan to do this. OSC on the other hand will be more or less like your DSLR weight wise.

To me it's an easy question to answer. CCD. An ED80 with flattener/reducer and good CCD will greatly out perform a Takahashi FSQ and DSLR. DSLRs give big chips at low cost and that's about it. Now I know someone will link to a CCD-like DSLR image but I'll give ten to one that it will be an image from a very fast astrograph at a very fast price - and if so it should have had a CCD in it!

Add to that the fact that the C9.25 is very slow and has a limited image circle, so a CCD would be faster and probably have a smaller chip residing in the clean part of the circle. A double whammy in favour of CCD.

Olly

As I thought. More expense :-)

CCD is looking good. Probably mono with filter wheel so I can do narrowband as well.

Rather than all the expense at once, I wonder if filterwheel with DSLR for a bit of narrowband makes sense then CCD later on.

What would be the benefits of a filterwheel and a DSLR? I'm presuming RGB is pointless but would luminance /narrowband improve images?

You have to draw a line somewhere mate. Only so much you can do as an amateur without blowing the household budget and your list of desirable equipment can be never ending ! I follow Steve Richards advice in his book about being realistic what you can afford and enjoy what you buy; not his exact words but that's his sentiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather than all the expense at once, I wonder if filterwheel with DSLR for a bit of narrowband makes sense then CCD later on.
I'm afraid it doesn't work like that.

Apart from the physical difficulties of gluing a FW to the sharp end of your DSLR, it's unlikely that the 1¼ inch filters (much, much cheaper that 2 inch filters and good enough for most "small" CCDs) will cause a lot of vignetting of your images - the DSLR sensor is simply too big for them.

Also, narrow band filters let through very little light - hardly any (though what they do let through is much less affected by light pollution). That means that you'll need to take longer sub-exposures. If you try doing that with your DSLR, the noise from its uncooled sensor will result in poor images. The DSLR will also only "see" NB light on 1 or 2 pixels of its RGB Bayer matrix - whether it would be able to create a passable image from that is questionable.

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that.

Apart from the physical difficulties of gluing a FW to the sharp end of your DSLR, it's unlikely that the 1¼ inch filters (much, much cheaper that 2 inch filters and good enough for most "small" CCDs) will cause a lot of vignetting of your images - the DSLR sensor is simply too big for them.

Also, narrow band filters let through very little light - hardly any (though what they do let through is much less affected by light pollution). That means that you'll need to take longer sub-exposures. If you try doing that with your DSLR, the noise from its uncooled sensor will result in poor images. The DSLR will also only "see" NB light on 1 or 2 pixels of its RGB Bayer matrix - whether it would be able to create a passable image from that is questionable.

Looks as though I'm saving up then :-/

36mm is the smallest filter size for a standard DSLR. However, they seem to be very difficult to get. I ordered as set of Baader NB filters to use with my modded and Peltier cooled 1100D but after several weeks, I'm still waiting for the OIII filter. As far as I can ascertain, FLO are currently the only UK suppliers of 36mm NB filters. I have a home-made filter wheel to take these 36mm unmounted filters but I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get the 36mm OIII. I have Astrononik clip filters in Ha and OIII which are reasonable and I can get satisfactory images with cooled cameras but these are not really practical for a single camera as they are rather a pain to change. Alternatively, you could use 2" filters but these are very expensive.

Personally, I have decided to aim for a CCD astro camera for NB with 1.25" filters in a filter wheel with the idea of probably adding LRGB filters for it in a couple of years time. That I expect to up my image quality considerably. The Peltier cooled DSLR does solve the noise problem to a large degree but a DSLR is always going to be far less sensitive than a mono astro CCD camera. Aside from the difference in native sensitivity a DSLR is always going to be just a quarter as sensitive to Ha with only a quarter of the pixels being used.

For the brighter and larger DSOs a DSLR is a good option particularly if cooled and this has served me well for quite a while and I expect it will continue to do so. But for the smaller and fainter DSOs I know a mono CCD camera is the way to go - particularly as I am keen on NB.

Thanks all.

Pretty much as I thought. I do love my 80mm frac and would hate to part with it. A replacement to give significant improvements would be v costly.

Guess I better get my shopping list together and start saving - again....

Archived