Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

William Optics ZS71 ED 2013

FLO

The new William Optics ZS71 ED 2013 is now in stock and available for overnight delivery.

Features include a new f5.9 doublet objective with an FPL51 (we presume) ED element and a new larger 2-inch Rack & Pinion focuser with a higher payload capacity and smoother action than the previous model.

Physically this new telescope is larger (wider diameter) and heavier.

William Optics also have a new 0.8x flattener/reducer in the pipeline.

Here is a stock photo, we'll make some photos of our own tomorrow and post them here.

Steve

william_optics_ZS71.jpg

I've noticed that the listing for the WO GT81 Triplet http://www.firstligh...-refractor.html has reappeared on the website. Does that mean an announcement is incoming (hopefully :)), or just an error?

I don't think the GT81 triplet was removed but some older models were so it is probably that it has moved from page-2 to page-1.

As far as we know WO will not be releasing another batch.

HTH :smiley:

Would this be a better (first DSO setup) purchase than the Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED DS PRO OTA ...?? :cool:

That is a good question. The answer depends on your preference. It used to be the case (here on SGL) that optical quality is King and everything else is second. You can upgrade focusers, finderscopes, rings and dovetail. But not the optics. But recently there has been some argument in favour of CNC-machined optical-tubes and more sturdy focusers. So today some choose telescopes with higher mechanical quality at the expense of optical quality. If optical quality is priority and you don't mind that you might choose to upgrade the focuser then the 80ED wins. Skywatcher also offer an optically-matched reducer-flattener. But, the ZS71 ED's smaller size, hefty construction and fast f-ratio is attractive and if the optical quality is as good as the outgoing Zenithstar 70 or Megrez-72 then it will satisfy most people. And WO say they have a suitable reducer/flattener in the pipeline... It isn't an easy choice. I currently use a Skywatcher ED80 fitted with a Baader Steeltrack RT focuser.

HTH,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

Can you show a photo of the bottom of the foot please? I am wondering if it will be possible to attach a Losmandy dovetail directly to the foot.

I'm wondering if getting one of these and using my existing Tele Vue 0.8 reducer would be better than getting a Feathertouch focuser for my current WO ZS66ED Triplet as although the optics are better the scope can't currently use 2" accessories...... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Cheers

Stuart

Ok Stuart :smiley:

We can offer a customer-return Zenithstar ZS70 for £295, if that helps.

It was returned because there was play in one of the focus wheels, it needed only a slight turn of an allen-key to solve. Boxed, complete, in perfect condition and with full warranty.

You have first refusal so drop me a PM if interested :smiley:

Steve

• 1 month later...

Archived