NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Somwhere east from Southend

bamus

Last night I was on the quest to find suitable dark site east from Southend. I went to earlier mentioned in other topic site:

http://maps.google.c...045447&t=h&z=15

It wasnt as good as Dengie due to sky glow coming from Southend and flood lights from MOD area (looking NE I could see a lot of flood lights in the distance. I am afraid that this is the site close to Dengie where they dump soil from cross rail), but looking straight up I could see band of Milky Way almost as good as the one we have seen in Dengie location. So its still no perfect location, but at least its only 15 minutes driving from my home.

I have made some pictures from tripod. Hope you will enjoy it:

post-9894-0-99889700-1347107601_thumb.jp

post-9894-0-47525200-1347107622_thumb.jp

post-9894-0-35290600-1347107644_thumb.jp

post-9894-0-24061400-1347107661_thumb.jp

Nice pictures mate! Did you catch some satellites in that last picture? Love the view of the milky way!

thanks Tom. No satellites there, just planes flying to/from Stansted and London airports. I was surprised I could process any Milky Way at all. Perhaps sky there is not as bad at all :)

thanks Tom. No satellites there, just planes flying to/from Stansted and London airports. I was surprised I could process any Milky Way at all. Perhaps sky there is not as bad at all :)

Exactly! Must have a good sky there. I doubt there's any chance at all of that up our end! Haha

Ah! Planes, sorry didn't think of that! Haha!

Looks like a good spot - if not for imaging then from those samples I am sure Observing will be fine - better than home so thats all that counts to me.. Good to have another site to possible fall back on..

On a different note, I was up Dengie way last night so dropped the wine off to the Farmer, most grateful he was too. I took the other half up the track to show her where we observe from and it was peaceful as ever - however we didn't stay long leaving well before dark - which wasn't an issue as I had no scope or camera with me.

Looks like a good spot - if not for imaging then from those samples I am sure Observing will be fine - better than home so thats all that counts to me.. Good to have another site to possible fall back on..

On a different note, I was up Dengie way last night so dropped the wine off to the Farmer, most grateful he was too. I took the other half up the track to show her where we observe from and it was peaceful as ever - however we didn't stay long leaving well before dark - which wasn't an issue as I had no scope or camera with me.

Mark, do you take paypal or can we give you cash for the wine when we meet up next :smiley:

Archived