SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Powering a Atik 383L+ and keeping noise away.....

steve2310

Hi all

I have recently developed a problem with my mono Atik 383L whereby the noise levels in my subs have suddenly increased. Having been in touch with Atik they have correctly identified the problem stating that the 383 needs a good, constant 12v supply or the noise levels suddenly increase.

I have been powering the 383 with a decent leisure battery but it seems that this is not enough, and shortly into an imaging session, the leisure battery is unable to give a good constant 12v (or slightly above this) as the 383 demands, and hey presto, noise levels increase.

My problem is I am unable to determine a good power alternative. I do currently image in the back garden so could provide mains power via extensions etc., but from my understanding this is considered 'dangerous'??

How does everyone overcome this problem and how do most people power their ccds?

Should I look into power inverters? 13.5 power supply?

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to what to use in order to give a good, solid power supply and where is the best place to look to get these items.

Any help or advice would be great.

Steve

Cheers guys for the info re safety etc - really useful. Added to this though I also need to find the correct and 'solid' power adapter to give the 383 the juice that it needs. The 383 manual gives the power as being 12v 2.5a but I think I'm right in thinking that a better solution would be a 13.8v regulated power supply with the cigarette lighter connection? I am right that Atik's can cope with 13.8v?

If your leisure battery is not good enough to supply a steady voltage to your camera I would think its on its way out, there are a few people here that have and are building power boxes using these, I have bought this one as its higher power and UK seller the link to the forum post is here http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/110740-power-and-data-box/

Just use the mains and a proper 12 volt regulated supply from Maplins costing less than a tenner. Keep this and the ends of the cables above ground and out of the damp. Don't use cigar lighter plugs, they are useless things with notoriously fickle connection and if you get a momentary cut you have to start loads of things again. I ditched them within a month of starting out, never to return! If you have a circuit breaker at the house I can't see the danger. Am I missing something? If I short circuit anything electrical using extensions (chainsaw, hedgecutter, circular woodsaw, etc etc the cutout is instant.)

Olly

You can get a good regulated 13.6v PSU from model and remote-control shops, for under £40. Bung it in a plastic toolbox, leave the lid slightly open which will allow ventilation but keep the dew off. Power it with an extension and put a RCD on the extension plug. Job jobbed.

I used to suffer from power spikes that where coming from the freezer, which used to upset things sometimes. I got rid of that by getting a surge protetction socket (4 gang) and upgrading my PSU to a 30A ham radio bench supply from Maplins, it wasnt cheap (£89.99) but it powers everything I have with bags of room to spare, it also has a noise reduction feature for an ultra-smooth supply.

Dont get the cheap PSU from Maplins (the 5A one with the single ciggy plug and cooling fan, £25 quid i think), its noisy and the fan wont last all that long (mine died within a year). You might as well get a supply with plenty of headroom so you can expand in the future without having to upgrade.

Edit: Just checked Maplins, they dont sell that bench supply anymore :(

Archived