Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Noctolucent clouds over Canada

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

notaclue

notaclue

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 296 posts
A photograph of the rarely seen clouds taken on a plane in Canada. It seems they could be visible this year.

http://gizmodo.com/5...-over-the-poles

Ignore the global warming aspect and lets hope we get to see it over the UK.
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Heard at Leeds train station "The next train to arrive at platform 7 has already left. This is due to a broken watch and a space/time inconsistency. Please be advised of this as any astrophysicists will not explain this concept to you".

TractionMan

TractionMan

Dob Mob Mascot

• Advanced Members
  • 566 posts
  • Location: Latitude 56°N, Longitude 12°E, 64 meters above sea level. (Sweden)
A wonderful sight those clouds. I got to see this kind of clouds one night last week and they're really beautiful. It was a nice bonus after my first sight of saturn.

Stellan Binoculars: Celestron UpClose 10x50 Scopes: Skywatcher Skyliner 300P Flextube, Skywatcher Explorer 150PDS, Skywatcher Skymax 90 Mount: GSO ATZ EP's: SW PanaView 38mm, ES 82° 30mm, Celestron X-Cel LX 25, 18, 12, 9, 7 & 5mm + 2x Barlow Other stuff: iOptron SkyTracker V2 Messier Objects: 21/110 Caldwell Objects: 1/109 Planets: Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn Lunar 100: 2/100 Comets: 5

http://instagram.com/tractionman_swe

sologuitarist61

sologuitarist61

Sub Giant

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8,930 posts
I have actually seen this once myself when I was still living in Sussex (we are talking 45 years ago). I lived in a village with no lighting that was just under the South Downs. I happened to be out on the Downs with the dogs and looked north and saw something very similar to the picture on your link. Didn't know what it was at the time but now I thinks perhaps I do.

Regards

Richard

My model making blog can be seen at   http://richardmoorem...blogspot.co.uk/

ant

ant

Supernova

• Administrators
  • 26,089 posts
A couple of years ago we had some really good displays... I posted a warning on SGL and loads of people managed to get out and view them.

They are very eerie, silvery blue and always seem to move in the opposite direction to "normal" cloud...

This image is a little large, but give it time to load.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A few days after the above show, we had another. This one was in a league all of it's own. The NCL wasn't restricted to just low in the North... but went overhead. This image is about half a dozen images stitched together.

Posted Image

Hope you like the pictures.

Ant
  • Earl and TractionMan like this

Ant

www.emberson.org

forecast.png

notaclue

notaclue

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 296 posts
Nice photographs. I may have seen them when in Inverness in 1989. Normally between 2-4am the sun goes down and you end up with darkness. But sometimes you get this light blue.

It was talked about in this months Sky at night programme. Could be something fun to look forward to.
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Heard at Leeds train station "The next train to arrive at platform 7 has already left. This is due to a broken watch and a space/time inconsistency. Please be advised of this as any astrophysicists will not explain this concept to you".

sologuitarist61

sologuitarist61

Sub Giant

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8,930 posts
Nice shots Ant, especially the time lapse

Regards

Richard

My model making blog can be seen at   http://richardmoorem...blogspot.co.uk/

TractionMan

TractionMan

Dob Mob Mascot

• Advanced Members
  • 566 posts
  • Location: Latitude 56°N, Longitude 12°E, 64 meters above sea level. (Sweden)
Great set of pics! The time lapse was very interesting to watch.

A couple of years ago we had some really good displays... I posted a warning on SGL and loads of people managed to get out and view them.

They are very eerie, silvery blue and always seem to move in the opposite direction to "normal" cloud...

This image is a little large, but give it time to load.

A few days after the above show, we had another. This one was in a league all of it's own. The NCL wasn't restricted to just low in the North... but went overhead. This image is about half a dozen images stitched together.

Hope you like the pictures.

Ant

Stellan Binoculars: Celestron UpClose 10x50 Scopes: Skywatcher Skyliner 300P Flextube, Skywatcher Explorer 150PDS, Skywatcher Skymax 90 Mount: GSO ATZ EP's: SW PanaView 38mm, ES 82° 30mm, Celestron X-Cel LX 25, 18, 12, 9, 7 & 5mm + 2x Barlow Other stuff: iOptron SkyTracker V2 Messier Objects: 21/110 Caldwell Objects: 1/109 Planets: Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn Lunar 100: 2/100 Comets: 5

http://instagram.com/tractionman_swe

Earl

Earl

Court Jester

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,800 posts
Ant that third image is stunning!

Celestron CGE | Takahashi 106ED Reduced | QSI 683 WSG-8 Astrodon LRGB Ha OIII SII | Lodestar : Wide Angle imaging rig
Ikharos 8" Truss RC | Sbig ST-8XE | Astrodon Ha,LRGB : Galaxy Scope | DMK 618 | All to be on an Astro-Physics 900 and housed in a Pulsar Dome.

forecast.png

michael.h.f.wilkinson

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Hyper Giant

• Moderators
  • 17,866 posts
Magnificent image. Love the time-lapse.

Scopes: Celestron GP-C8, APM 80mm F/6 Triplet APO, Lunt LS35THa B1200, SkyWatcher ST80, home-brew Alt-Az mount, 4.5" F/4.3 MiniDOB (for the kids)

EPs: Pentax XW 7mm and XW 10mm, Televue Delos 8mm, Naglers 12 mm,17mm, and 22mm T4, and 31mm T5, Vixen LVW 42mm, 2x MaxVision 24mm 68°, William Optics Zoom 7.5-22.5mm, William Optics 2" Dielectric diagonal, Orion Optics 2" 90° Amici prism Denkmeier filter-switch star diagonal with O-III, H-beta, UHC and moon filter

Imaging stuff: Meade S5K TeleXtender 2x and 3x, TeleVue PowerMate 2.5x, TeleVue TRF-2008 0.8x reducer/flattener, ZW-Optical ASI130MM and ASI120MC, The Imaging Source DMK 21AU618.AS, Brightstar filter wheel, LRGB+IR filter set, modded Canon EOS 450D.

Bins: Helios Apollo 15x70 HD, TS 15x70 (repaired, for kids), Bresser 10x50, home-made P-mount Mk-III

Observation summary: Messier: 110/110, Caldwell: 97/109, RASC Finest NGCs: 93/110, Herschel: 306/400, Brightest Planetaries: 60/100, Planets: Mercury to Neptune (inclusive), Minor planets: 2, Lunar: 55/100, Comets: 12, Supernovas: 9, Novas: 1, Quasars: 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users