NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron C6 OTA

My wife has decided to get a tattoo that wil cost a good amount, so I jokingly said "In that case im getting a new telescope" to my suprise she agreed!!! I should be getting around £500 bonus over the next month or so so I have been on the hunt. Basically I want to buy the C6 but to keep the cost down would the mount from my 130 eq md be ok for this?or would it be putting too much stress on it. The C6 OTA weighs in at 4.5 Kg I dont know the weight of the 130 but I would imagine they are pretty similar?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The C6 OTA actually weighs in at less than 3.5kg (with RDF)- rather lighter than it says in the catalogue/spec sheets.

Even so the CG3 is only marginal for visual.

If you want to take piccies you'll need a more substantial mount.

The C6 OTA actually weighs in at less than 3.5kg (with RDF)- rather lighter than it says in the catalogue/spec sheets.

I can't believe the C6S weighs that little. Every review I have read including personal reviews on Cloudy Nights gives the weight at about 4.5kg. The C6S weighs less than a 6" mak (@5.6kg) but not that much.

So with it weighing less im guessing the CG-3 will be ok to start with?Im not into AP juist yet but will do eventually.

I'm pretty sure that the c6 would be undermounted on a cg3, the smallest eq mount celestron supply it with is a cg5gt. the c5 is supplied on a cg3 but not the c6. Knowing celestrons penchant for matching scopes to the mounts max with their bundles I guess it wouldn't fit

I can't believe the C6S weighs that little. Every review I have read including personal reviews on Cloudy Nights gives the weight at about 4.5kg. The C6S weighs less than a 6" mak (@5.6kg) but not that much.

Just calibrated the electronic scales with 1 litre of water (1kg), then weighed the 6SE- 3.36kg.:hello2:

So the C6 weighs less then the 130 thats already on it?If that's the case surely I can get away with it untill I can save up for a better mount?As you can tell I like the idea of a C6:D

So the C6 weighs less then the 130 thats already on it?If that's the case surely I can get away with it untill I can save up for a better mount?As you can tell I like the idea of a C6:D

Good luck with the experiment. The CG3 uses a similar tripod to a SLT and SLT + 127 mak has stability issue.

Remember the 130 has a focal length of 650mm, while the C6 FL is 1500mm, so any eyepiece on the C6 will magnify 2.3x more than the 130, and any vibration will also magnify. I think there is a reason why Celestron don't sell the C6 with the CG4/EQ3-2 (Omni series). You are planning on using it on the much lighter CG3.

Hmmm i not sure what im going to do yet, I really do like the look of the C6 however I am very open to suggestions. I think I want an SCT or a Mak although a larger ap DOB is very tempting just not sure how I wouls get on with tracking and wouldnt mind a good apeture but pretty portable. I have even looked at the nexstar 4!

So far the following scopes are on the shortlist -

C6 OTA (SCT) (£530)

Skyliner 250PX (£418)

Skyliner 250PX flextube (£517)

Skymax 127 Mak (GOTO or supa trak)

Nexstar 4 (£389)

Omni 127 SCT (£495)

Rother valley will price match, and I can go over there to have a look (only 40 miles away)

I would prefer to buy new, it's really confusing all this buying new!I know optically the C6 OTA would be best but then my mount will be letting it down (I think mechanically it wil be fine but visually the vibrations will be pretty bad) then I think maybe bite the bullet and get a big DOB??? I do like the idea of the little maks and SCT's but they are pricey and I cannot for the life of me decide if I should go with a powerd mount. I do think the celestron 4SE is not too bad value for the full setup the 5SE gets excellent rviews but at £650 seems a bit steep. The skywatcher mak 127 looks pretty good as well. Think a trip to the shop to have a good look might be in order.

I got my 6SE 2nd hand for £300.

Collimation was WAY out, but sorted easily and now provides great views.

I initially used it on a Skywatcher AZ Synscan mount. It worked surprisingly well.

The only real problem was that the finder ended up under the OTA- that was a real PITA.

I got my 6SE 2nd hand for £300.

Collimation was WAY out, but sorted easily and now provides great views.

I initially used it on a Skywatcher AZ Synscan mount. It worked surprisingly well.

The only real problem was that the finder ended up under the OTA- that was a real PITA.

That's an amazing deal you got. A C6 SE usually cost £600 used. Why did you use the AZ Synscan, what's wrong with the SE mount?

What's the difference (if any) between the C6 SCT and the SE?

C6 (S/SCT) is the Celestron 6" SCT. Celestron has a Newtonian called C6N. C6SE is a Celestron C6 on a 6/8 SE mount, usually the C6's tube is painted orange (instead on black in other version) and fitted with RDF instead of finderscope.

Thankyou Keith, I am definately leanin towards the C6 however a 250px dob can be had cheaper but I like the idea of the lower maintenance SCT. Hmmmm still no final decision made though.

Archived