Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

owl cluster

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Pug

Pug

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 429 posts
Hi all,

I was shown the owl cluster (not nebula, it looks like a dot to dot of an owl in flight) on saturday at a meeting and wanted to show my daughter next time I'm observing from home, only problem is I can't remember where it is! Can anyone tell me?

Thanks in advance, Pug
12" Revelation Dob
Lidl 10x50 Bins

"Astronomy? Impossible to understand and madness to investigate." Sophocles

Slim

Slim

Star Forming

• Members
  • 249 posts

Hi all,

I was shown the owl cluster (not nebula, it looks like a dot to dot of an owl in flight) on saturday at a meeting and wanted to show my daughter next time I'm observing from home, only problem is I can't remember where it is! Can anyone tell me?

Thanks in advance, Pug

Its under the central arch of Cassiopeia. Download a free piece of software called Stellarium, then you will be able to search for all the wonders of the sky and see where they are. You can set it to a certain date and time, great program for planning your nights viewing.

Edited by Slim, 23 February 2012 - 03:37 PM.

SW Explorer 250 PDS EQ6 Pro - SW Startravel 80 Baader Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm Mark III - Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow - Baader Neodymium Moon & Skyglow Filter - Canon 1100D (unmodded) - Astronomik CLS EOS Clip Filter - QHY5-II

Pug

Pug

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 429 posts
Cheers Slim!

Got stellarium, always my first port of call however, the owl cluster doesn't show on mine, got all the updates and add ons.
12" Revelation Dob
Lidl 10x50 Bins

Astro Imp

Astro Imp

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,614 posts
Look for NGC 457.
Alan

When all else fails - read the manual.

SW 150P EQ3-2 mount.
Telrad Finder
Stellarium.
One well used pair of MK1s.

Slim

Slim

Star Forming

• Members
  • 249 posts

Cheers Slim!

Got stellarium, always my first port of call however, the owl cluster doesn't show on mine, got all the updates and add ons.

Not a problem and it is a fantastic piece of software. If you put owl cluster into the search box it does actually show NGC457. Very clever!

SW Explorer 250 PDS EQ6 Pro - SW Startravel 80 Baader Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm Mark III - Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow - Baader Neodymium Moon & Skyglow Filter - Canon 1100D (unmodded) - Astronomik CLS EOS Clip Filter - QHY5-II

SniffTheGlove

SniffTheGlove

Cruithne Warrior

• Advanced Members
  • 877 posts
You just have to learn how to rotate your owl :-)
Rotate Your Owl - YouTube

Sean

9657d3c8658701f14294f87a8ee0d878

NGC 1502

NGC 1502

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,468 posts
Here you go-

http://www.nightskyi.../ngc457_map.gif

Has lots of names, NGC 457, Caldwell 13, Owl cluster, ET cluster etc.

Great object, and a favourite at my clubs public events.

Regards, Ed.

OO 10" F4.8 Dob.

Astro Tech Voyager alt-az, with :- TeleVue Pronto,

Lunt 35 Ha, 90mm Mak + Baader.

Psalm 19 v1

mike.brightmore

mike.brightmore

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 571 posts
You do have to rotate the 'Owl' sometimes but a lovely cluster.

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 457 (OC Cass) 2 Aug stacked_edited-2.jpg

Celestron CPC 1100, Helios Quantum Four 25x100 Binoculars, Helios Quantum 7.4 Binoculars, Watec 120N+ video camera, Canon EOS 350 DSLR camera, SkyShed POD observatory.
video cam images
https://picasaweb.go...2009?feat=email#

Pug

Pug

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 429 posts
Thanks for all the info, scopes outside cooling! The fella who told me where to look said I'd know it when I saw it and I laughed out loud when I got it!
12" Revelation Dob
Lidl 10x50 Bins

lawsio

lawsio

Nebula

• New Members
  • 39 posts
Also known as the skiing cluster I believe due to its resemblance to a skier? I've been skiing and I didn't look much that that! (Unless I fell over - then I did very much look like a 'splat'!)

The first cluster I looked for (after M45) on my first trip away from the city lights. A nice one but I found it a ****** to find to begin with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users