SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just finished modding my dob base.

Daz Type-R

done a bit of faffing about today with the base,cut up some milk carton and put a little strip in the bottom board hole, put the bolt in and then squeezed in the black washer thingy, seems to be quite sturdy with hardly any wobble, I also cut the milk carton near the top, where it is a bit textured , made 3 little strips and placed them over the Teflon pads on the base. I didn't want to glue them down in case it didn't work so I made them longer and fastened them down with a little tape as a temporary measure, I also cut 2 big pieces, made a hole in the middle and put them in-between the ota bearings and the rocker box. It all seems a bit better than it was,look forward to giving it a go on the next clear night.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The way I did it was to use a bolt threaded all the way down as I've used a half nut to clamp it to the base board ... ie : the bottom is rigid, no movement at all. I'll do some rough, and u mean rough! Plans tonight.

Sent from my HD2Droid

As promised !

post-34009-133877782303_thumb.jpg

I've also got some M14 half nuts and washers if anyone needs any..again PM me your addresses..first come first served

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

TOP GEEZER :thumbup:

Sent from my HD2Droid

For anyone interested in marking out their Dob base ,regardless of size, I found this neat little program online, http://www.startrak.co.uk/MakingSettingCircles.htm.

It allows you to download a program that will print out a 90 degree protractor on 4 pieces of paper, then you can just join them up. I did this then took the base apart, put some blutak in the centre hole and pinned the protractor in the middle, then I easily marked out the degrees on the base. I know how much of a pain it is when you are marking out , only to find when you get to the end its out by a degree or two.

Without appearing to have read the posts properly...if you fit a lazy susan bearing set do you remove the teflon pads that are there already there ? Also the 12" bearing set would carry at least 750 kilos, so are they too smooth or will any size set be ok but with the right drag by whatever means work ?

Speaking of fitted pads how long do the supplied set of teflon pads last until they hit the staples ?

The lazy Susan is thicker than the Teflon pads so you leave them on.

It makes the base 'too spinny' so you need to add some friction to slow it down a bit.

Skim through the thread... its all on here

I just stuck some fuzzy felt furniture pads ontop of the teflon pads, worked out exactly the right thickness, i couldnt be happier with my mount now :)

Forgot to specify - thats aswell as the lazy susan, not just felt pads alone lol

Also added teflon mouse tape to the alt bearing (around the red ring which rubs on the side boards) which smoothed out the alt movement when tension was set nice and tight.

• 2 weeks later...

I followed these instructions and it feels like it should be a vast improvement once the sky darkens and the clouds clear , I have just used a longer 12mm bolt in the middle and used a locking nut rather than the nyloc one. Got the slide guides from wickets . Thanks for the guide

• 1 month later...

I`m so happy that everybody has found the guide usefull, loved reading about the extra bits and bobs and variations that people have done.

Sorry for not answering questions myself but everybody else seems to of done a cracking job, I don't come on SGL much these days, just pop by from time to time.

• 2 months later...

Just to clarify the mod, everything attaches to the lower base and then the upper base just sits on the bearing, not actually attached to it?

I am quite pleased with how I have the base as standard but as this mod is so cheap I'm going to give it a go.

on a related note does anyone know of anywhere that does setting circles for dob bases? I was chatting to my dad about this, he used to be a draughtsman and still has his old CAD system, so no problem designing and drawing the circles but his A3 printer is knackered and the computer is so old it doesn't have any USB ports so no way of printing and the only way he can save is to an old floppy. There must be online CAD designers who could do all this and print out circles for various size bases? If enough dob owners wanted them we could make a bulk order and get a good price.

Archived