NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

9x50 finder scope guider

pritc

After reading a few threads,and the success people seem to have.

I have converted my Sky Watcher 9x50 finder scope into a guide scope.

Purchased the rear adaptor from Bernard at Modern Astronomy. This enables a Phillips SPC900 webcam to be attached,to use as a guide camera.

I am using a SC1 LX modded webcam to hopefully pick out fainter stars for guiding.

I flipped the focus locking ring around 180' and focusing on a distant object,obtained focus.

But I still need to try it on a star,when clear skies let me.:glasses2:

A few people said the standard SW finder bracket has to much flexing for guiding.It has two locking screws and one spring loaded screw to set the finder scope in.

So I purchased from Rother Valley Optics a

'Antares 50mm quick release bracket'

A SOLID mount with no flexing......

I will report back on my trial's using Guide Dog & PHD Guiding to see which one gives the best results with my combo.

Wayne

Be interested too... can you also post up your findings using the webcam in normal mode and then in LX mode - just interested to see if using standard cam works or if you need a modded web cam or dedicated camera such as the QHY5 to guide.

I'm using the ST80 / QHY5 combo, but also have MA adapter for a SW finder, and might use this option with the EQ5 / MAK 127 combo when visiting star parties etc

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi there,

This is the way I did modified a Vixen flip-mirror and my Orion finder 9x50 with illuminated crosshair, everything on the top of one Vixen adapter rail.

Initially I wanted to cut the finder and to insert the flip-mirror some how into the middle. But finally I decided to make some adapter pieces - one reduction, 2 rings, an extension tube and a parfocal ring.

Now I have a 90 degree illuminated crosshair finder along with the guider, just in a "flip".

Everything is completely reversible and nothing is broken.

The device is working better with a barlow before the autoguider camera because the focal length is increasing, the field of view become narrower and small movements of the guide-star are easily identified by the camera. The problem in this case is the poor performance during the night with full moon because of the small size of the guider and the longer focal length.

The story is in the images bellow.1_finder_dezmembrat_100.jpg2_sina_cu_inele_136.jpg3_flip_cu_elementele_212.jpg4_flip_asamblat_671.jpg5_finder_guider_pe_sina_210.jpg6_final_407.jpg

Converted my 9x50 last week, just the basic change and have been suprised at the amount of stars I have been able to see with just a standard SPC900 webcam. Bougt two adapters, one for webcams and one for a C Mount camera I have, this I have yet to use but happy with what I have done so far :) .

Jim

The finderguider works a treat with the QHY5.

It saves so much hassle as you dont need to adjust focus each time, the scope is free to be used to image.

It's one of the few things I have found in astro gear which actually does what it says on the tin.

• 2 months later...

Archived