Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Confusion!

it will do you proud Mehraj

good luck, not that you will need it

Why would it make me proud? (Its not one of the high ends)

And also why do you think I dont need it?

I want to know because, I do value your opinion. You have been a good help so far, cheers for that. So if you think 150P is way good for me, let me know please. I'll weigh up my decision once again :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of us spent several hours using a Skywatcher 150 F/5 newtonian at the SGL6 star party a few weeks ago. I lost count but I know we had seen well over 20 galaxies by the end of the night, including some pretty faint ones. It was a lovely scope to use under those dark skies :)

Don't worry about this:

"Why would it make me proud? (Its not one of the high ends)

And also why do you think I dont need it?"

The poster was being 100% complimentary and enthusiastic for you !.

I think the 150P is a great scope and is fine to use on the EQ3-2 mount. It is big enough to see lots of great objects but small enough to be easy to handle. I also have a 127mm refractor that is a similar size to the 150PL and the extra length makes it a bit wobbly to use at high powers on the EQ3-2 mount.

For photography of deep sky objects you must use a camera with 30second exposure at least so you will also need the motor drives otherwise you just get streaks instead of stars. You can get some okay photos with this set up, at least to see if it is interesting for you so can get better equipment later.

A couple of us spent several hours using a Skywatcher 150 F/5 newtonian at the SGL6 star party a few weeks ago. I lost count but I know we had seen well over 20 galaxies by the end of the night, including some pretty faint ones. It was a lovely scope to use under those dark skies :(

Don't worry about this:

"Why would it make me proud? (Its not one of the high ends)

And also why do you think I dont need it?"

The poster was being 100% complimentary and enthusiastic for you !.

A relief finally! I really hope Nick meant so! I'd honestly be happy buying a stupid scope listening to you people rather than getting a superb one just listening to my mind. Thanks John, you are a healer!

I think the 150P is a great scope and is fine to use on the EQ3-2 mount. It is big enough to see lots of great objects but small enough to be easy to handle. I also have a 127mm refractor that is a similar size to the 150PL and the extra length makes it a bit wobbly to use at high powers on the EQ3-2 mount.

For photography of deep sky objects you must use a camera with 30second exposure at least so you will also need the motor drives otherwise you just get streaks instead of stars. You can get some okay photos with this set up, at least to see if it is interesting for you so can get better equipment later.

Thanks lot mate, to tell you the truth, That's the only answer I have been looking for so far. I am a photographer by hobby, and now sky watching is another latest addition, for which I have been longing ever since I read about other planets. Of course I want to take some photos, although they'll never be easy like my other photographs, yet I want to. Lot many people suggested me to start with simple sky watching first and then when I'd know what to look and where, I can start taking photos. That's the reason I am not looking for any motors at this moment, so I can stick to "know the sky" activities first. But photos are still in my mind. Your comment made it very clear that at some point I can really start taking photos using this gear and that makes me a lot more optimistic :)

Happy to help :)

Buying the 150P was the right decision for me. I wanted to learn if I liked observing or imaging, so I bought this little scope that could do both to see which I liked best. I found that I like to do both. A big help to make it easier to find the things that you want to look at, is to add a red dot finder (RDF). I bought a Rigel Quickfinder which I like very much, but there are others. Untill you know the sky, when you see a star in the finder scope, it is just a star and might not be the one you think. But with the RDF you see a red dot, (actually rings, like a target with the Quickfinder), that you can point at the star you want. This was the best accessory I have bought for my hobby and I would highly recommend it.

I hope you will like Stargazing for many years to come.

Archived