Getting a carry bag for a explorer 150pl

Hi there.

I spent a good bit of time searching for a bag to carry my scope. I previously posted a thread asking for suitable ideas. I had a lot of good suggestions but all the ideas would be too expensive. I think I have possibly found a good way of transporting my scope on a low budget. Today I have purchased a padded golf bag travel cover. I'm not too sure if anyone has thought of it so I that's why I am posting this. I got my bag for under £20 and it has the right dimensions for my scope. When it arrives I will let you know how I get on with it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. That one on Amazon looks good. This is more for storage for me, than traveling. I just want to be able to put the scope in a bag with some silica gel to keep it dry, and obviously keep dust, dirt and creep crawlies out :)

[edit] No mention of dimensions that I can see though.

Hey Chris

Yeah I am sure that will do the job. I was put off buying a bag from Teleskopes. I couldn't justify spending About £80 - 90 on a carry case. I would rather be spending that on other things. Good luck finding a suitable bag.

I have been trying to design a carry bag of my own to fit my 130P. I work in a fabric department so thought I might be able to knock something up. I did try stitching bubble wrap between the layers but my machine didn't like it very much!! When I have a completed article it I will post a picture up. :)

Hi David what a good find...i have the same scope as you so would be very interested to see how the 150pl fits.

Would you be able to post up some pictures of the bag when you get it with the scope inside??

Going to keep an eye on this thread as i have wanted a bag of some sort for mine aswell but like your good self i cant justify spending a lot of money on one...these golf bags look just the ticket.

I have been trying to design a carry bag of my own to fit my 130P. I work in a fabric department so thought I might be able to knock something up. I did try stitching bubble wrap between the layers but my machine didn't like it very much!! When I have a completed article it I will post a picture up. :)

Hi Trillian,

I'm doing something of the same thing for my scope and mount. I used two layers of cotton canvas, separated by a insulated padding with a reflective aluminum/mylar layer inside to reflect heat. This mylar/padding stuff was about $3 / yard, the heavy duty canvas about $5 / yard. Including zippers, the whole cost is about $20 for a custom-fit scope bag. Mine is 90% done (It will be finished this weekend if nothing else gets in the way!)

I'll post pictures too, when I'm finished. As I'm doing a set of covers (Tripod, pier extension, and OTA) and my mount is a Celestron Pro - I chose bright "Celestron Orange" for the fabric. They look awesome!

Dan

have you thought about a cricketers coffin?, i have been looking around for one for my TAL, not sure if the PL would be too long though

That's exactly what I use for my 150P but it would be too short for the 150PL. I bought mine from my local sports shop for £23.

Archived