Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A very quick eyepiece review

Kai

Aren't i a lucky boy then.

I have just received a Televue Panoptic 24mm from FLO.

Tonight (7th Feb) was shaping up to be a nice night to play with my new toy.I had the scope cooling down all afternoon and by the time i ventured outside the sky was nice and clear (6.30pm)

Mmmmmm what do i look at ????

M42 ,so off the scope slewed over to Orion,i popped the 24mm in the diagonal of my C8 and had a squint.Well i say squint more like my eye fell down a black hole.

Now thats a nice looking view,showing the swirls of the nebula but with 4 pin sharp stars in the center.I spent 5 Min's or so just lapping up the view.

Next.....

I know the Double cluster,at F10 i normally have a few issues looking at this,BUT there it was at either side of the eyepiece and sharp views to boot.

I also had another target last night that involved my 350d so i took the 24mm out of the C8 and popped it into my ZS66 and went back to Orion.

The view was just as sharp but now i had a sharp wide view.

After my imaging was complete now it was back into the C8 and over to Saturn.I was getting complacent now but :rolleyes: how was that for a portrait.I could make out Cassini,Cloud banding and moons !!!!

Then the view went all blurry........

The cloud gods must of decided that that was enough for tonight as there was a massive bank of cloud over my head and i hadn't noticed it :D

It was now 8.30 and -5 degrees and to be honest i could of stood all night looking through it

I now know what all the fuss is about with a top class eyepiece,now wheres my wallet :wink:

Many thanks to the advice i received on the forum and thanks to Steve for supplying my "package"

One criticism though is Saturn through the Zs66 is possibly asking a bit much as i couldn't get a sharp focus through it.

Nice report Kai,

I used to have a Panoptic 24 and wish I still did - trouble was, on my budget, I could not justify having so much invested in one item :rolleyes:

They are superb and pin sharp edge to edge even at short focal lengths.

They are generally thought of as being one of the best 1.25 inch eyepieces made.

Tele Vue might have it's detractors but they have produced some "milestone" products which have set the standards for others to aim at - the Panoptic 24mm being one of them.

John

Archived