NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

celestron omni xlt 150??

just saw the offer from flo for the celestron omni xlt 150 newt. would anyone be able to tell me what sort of views i could expect from this of lunar observing? compared to my helios 80mm ST frac (i now a newt of this size is an all rounder for dso etc) but for the price considering id like to buy a eq5 no matter what ota I get would this be more value for money as its half price compared to getting a skymax 127 or a 120 frac of some kind? also can the focuser be upgrader later to a 2inch? or can it only take the standerd 1.25"???? also would it be ok for use with webcam imaging of lunar shots and saturn?

thanks again in advance :)

What price are FLO offering the XLT150 for? I can only see the package price with the CG4 for £350, which is nowhere near as good as the Skywatcher 150P package deal of £280. Plus the Skywatcher comes with a 2" Crayford focuser.

In general terms the 150 F5 newtonian is a great scope. Capable of having a go at everything, including DSO and Planetary imaging. Excellent value.

Regarding the focuser, you should just have to un screw the 2 thumbscrews on each side of 1.25" eyepiece holder, then insert your 2" eyepiece into the holder unless it comes with 2" eyepiece adaptor...

Nadeem.

Unfortunately looking at the spill from FLO, the focuser on this particular XLT150 is a 1.25" rack & pinion. Which would mean swapping out the entire focuser and drilling new holes in the tube to fit a 2" replacement focuser. But the time you replace the focuser with a dual speed crayford you could have bought a new Skywatcher 150PDS Blackdiamond for the same. But without the flaff of drilling/filing any holes.

Thats what they said about the Omni 102ED, but planned out to be a single crayford focuser... Maybe FLO should open one of the boxes to confirm it... Or whoever buys one would be kind enough to report back if the focuser has teeth underneath the focuser drawtube or is flat...

Nadeem

how reliable is that website as i put in for visual viewing the 150 and 25mm eyepice with 2x barlow and it showed saturn smaller than it appears in my 80mm, is this right? lol

The image does seem a little on the small side for what i see in the eyepiece. Have you tried inputting your 80mm into that site?

To get a good image scale with the 150 F5 XLT you'll need an eyepiece focal length of 4-5mm, giving 150-187x magnification. If you try out the calculator again with that spec the result is about right for what you will see.

The XLT150 will handle more power than that but the sky rarely allows much more. I have used my 150 F5 with a barlowed 6mm to achieve 250x but the sky has to be very good. And lately that has not been the case.

Maybe FLO should open one of the boxes to confirm it... Or whoever buys one would be kind enough to report back if the focuser has teeth underneath the focuser drawtube or is flat...

I already have :)

I have one at home for use on a Vixen Porta II Mount. It is fitted with a 1.25" R&P focuser, not a 2", but that will do nicely for what I have planned (my eldest son is expressing an interest). It is smoother and tighter than the old Skywatcher R&P. The chart below shows the fields of view with Plossl eyepieces.

HTH,

Steve

post-12699-133877564209_thumb.jpg

Archived