SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SBIG ST-4000XCM Autoguide Cable to EM-400 Temma2M Mount

alaskacam

Hello all. I just received my new Takahashi EM-400 Temma2M mount yesterday. I do most of my imaging with my SBIG ST-4000XCM CCD. The ST-4 cable from the camera connected directly to my old mount (Skywatcher HEQ-5Pro) through the traditional ST-4 connector right on the mount. It was called the autoguide port, I think. The Temma2 mount has no such connection. Instead it has a small proprietary looking port labled autoguide and a couple of 6-pin round ports. It looks like one of the round ports will allow me connect to the mount to slave it to go-to software, through a USB to Serial adapter. How do I connect the camera to the mount to send autoguide signals? I've done lots of searches online and am more confused that I started out. It looks like OPT (and others) sell a Takahashi cable that is the Temma2 ST-4 guiding cable. I assume that would plug into the small autoguide port and give me a port to plug in the SBIG ST-4 male plug. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Shoestring Astronomy sell an adapter to connect a standard ST4 cable to the Temma. It's quite cheap. It might be quicker to order it from the UK or Europe. I know that Rob Lefeber at Robtics in the Netherlands has them.

This, along with the continued use of obsolete serial ports (when did you last see a new laptop thus equipped?) is part of the Takahashi policy of being as annoying as possible. Also to come, the pleasure of getting all set to guide, switching on and finding you have forgotten to switch the little handset back to normal speed so your careful framing goes out of the window in a mad unwanted slew!!!

How a company capable of making such great products can be so bone idle when it comes to the details (Pegasus has to be the worst planetarium software ever written) is a mystery. They have a vast US market yet used a non native speaker to translate all their manuals. Etc etc.

However, ticking away all night without losing a sub is the big positive...

Here is the adapter;

The Shoestring Astronomy Store - GPCNV-TAK

Olly

Thanks Olly. Yeah, the manuals with the scope and mount are a bit of a joke. My wife looked at the hand controller last night as I was unboxing and commented "that thing looks like it was designed in the '60s...".. I can't wait to get the new scope fired up in the next couple nights but yes there are a few annoying points with these guys. A response that I got in a different forum showed an adapter cable that fit the small little "autoguider" port on the mount vs the 6-pin round port that the cable you show connects with... I'm still a bit confused. Not only am I on a steep learning curve on the software, optics, CCDs, upper-atmospheric winds, but I appear to need to add cable connectors to the list. :)

Rob

Having a background in software and hardware.. having the job of being responsible for Takahashi's software and control hardware would be a dream job :)

Personally I'd do away with cables completely and reduce the cables on the mount to just one powered bus (possibly thunderbolt). Your controller would be a tablet (iPad or other) or your PC..

Just think of the company perks.. :p :p

Well one thing I have seen in my searches is the autoguider port on the EM-200 vs EM-400 temma2 mounts are different.... Mine (400) is a tiny port that I haven't seen before. The 200 has a 6-pin round connector for the autoguide port. That may be why I'm getting two different answers...

Rob

Well one thing I have seen in my searches is the autoguider port on the EM-200 vs EM-400 temma2 mounts are different.... Mine (400) is a tiny port that I haven't seen before. The 200 has a 6-pin round connector for the autoguide port. That may be why I'm getting two different answers...

Rob

Ah, didn't know that, Rob. Mine is a 200. Ignore me!

Olly

• 3 weeks later...

Check with Nick at True Technology

True Technology Astronomy Products

The April price list has the newer 2M cable listed......

and as usual (for Tak), looks rather expensive

Autoguiding cables for Temma 2M mounts

TAC03002 Autoguiding cable ST4 (DB15) Temma 2M £138

TAC03003 Autoguiding cable ST7 for (DB9) Temma 2M £138

TAC03004 Autoguiding cable STV Temma 2M £138

Hope this helps...?

Clear skies

Damian

Thanks Damian... What I need is the STV, which is the RJ-11 plug connected with the new Temma2M plug. I have a couple leads on getting these. I made the mistake of ordering the ST-4 version. Had the right temma port, but the huge original ST-4 plug, not what most people currently call the ST-4, which is RJ-11....... Thanks for the help. Rob

Hi Rob,

If you haven't already sorted your problem go to -

UncensoredTakGroup : Discussion group for Takahashi owners and fans

They have been discussing this.

Next up go to Shoestring and send them an email. They will have the latest details.

Tak are on the case. Never fear. They have changed their antiquated serial cable for a..... serial cable. Who says they're behind the times ?

On the other hand, I've recently read an article about serial v usb. The thinking is that serial doesn't break down. Usb does from time to time !

Dave.

Archived