Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A little advice on my purchase of Skyhawk 1145p

Hi all,

Firstly what a great community. Been looking around and cant wait to get involved (once I get kitted out) a little more.

I could really use a little help. I am very serious about getting into astronomy and astrophotography a little later. Im have just placed an order for a Skyhawk 1145p 114mm Parabolic reflector with a EQ1 Mount. I believe this is a good buy after doing alot of reading. As I already know my way around the sky pretty well I really just need advice with equipment. Now here is what is said about it.

Magnifications (with optics supplied): x20, x40, x50, x100

Highest Practical Power (Potential): x228

Diameter of Primary Mirror: 114mm

Telescope Focal Length: 500mm (f/5)

Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

x2 Barlow Lens

Parabolic Primary Mirror

0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports

Red Dot Finder

EQ1 Equatorial Mount

Aluminium Tripod with Accessory Tray

125% more Light Gathering than 76mm

Now would I need to purchase seperate eyepieces at all? As I was really hoping they would give me more information on them for eg Plossl etc. Has anybody here purchased the same reflector and knows what the eyepieces are like?

Also I would really like to purchase a motor drive for it and know that it would only cost around £30. Unfortunatley I have no idea if just going a buying a motor drive for any EQ1 mount would fit?

Finally What filters and other bits ad pieces could people recommend? Oh..and is this Skyhawk a good buy? I know it was pretty highly rated.

Sorry for all the questions, I just hope someone could be kind enough to help me out as Im so keen to get started.

Thanks all :)

welcome to sgl its a good little starter scope if you are on a very tight budget there are better for a little more but it is a nice way to start. I wouldn't bother buying a motor for it. if you intend to take photo's I would save up and get a bigger mount You may want to invest in better eyepieces in a while but if youv'e paid for your scope use it a while before you spend any money on it. Its a great little scope for the price with a seriously nice mirror on it but it's designed to introduce you to astronomy. so don't spend any money on it yet. If you decide you like astronomy you will want a bigger scope if you don't. You're not down a lot of money as you can unload it to another new person. for the price its one of the best starter scopes out there so take, it use it, after a while you will get a feel for what you want to see in the universe and will probably want to upgrade to a bigger setup you can then sell the scope to another starter and get them hooked. It's a nice scope with lovely views and an excellent intro to astronomy. Here is a link to a free planetarium programme it will help you find your away around the stars Stellarium

Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated.

I am thinking now that maybe the explorer 130 may be a better choice. As you have said better scopes can be had for only a little more.

Ive no doubt in my mind that after perhaps 6 months to a year I will want a far far superior scope. So as Im adament I want to stay below £200 then it seems like either scopes would be ideal for starters like myself. I deffinately want a goto in the future but will be very glad navigating manually for now.

Again thanks alot for the reply :)

We have the 114 Newt, and to be honest it has been a fatastic scope to start of with. Admittedly I bought it for my 9 year old as she really wanted a telescope so there was no way we were going bigger, but for us it was a great choice. Brilliant if small views of the planets, but good enougth to send us bouncing around the garden cheering with delight.

This is a scope that if your budget is limited then I would recommend to anyone. The problem for us is what to upgrade to now...

There you are - you are getting the hang of astronomy already!

First, we all decide on a new piece of kit, then we all spot something better (and more expensive), then we spot something even better (and even more expensive), and then..............:):D:D

Seriously, I suspect that you will be happier for longer with the 130p - it's a great scope for the money. But there again, have you looked at the 150p? :p

Whatever you choose - CLEAR SKIES! :p

Hi

I have the 130p and am very happy with it, though if I was not so stuck on my budget and had a little more cash the 150P would have been a much better choice. It comes with a better mount and is bigger on aperture.

Thing is it is now more expensive. When I bought 3 months ago (ish) the 150p was £50 more expensive than the 130p So don't understand why it is now £100 more :-(

If I was you I would go for the 130p if your budget allows. Aperture is king here!

There you are - you are getting the hang of astronomy already!

First, we all decide on a new piece of kit, then we all spot something better (and more expensive), then we spot something even better (and even more expensive), and then..............:):D:D

Seriously, I suspect that you will be happier for longer with the 130p - it's a great scope for the money. But there again, have you looked at the 150p? :p

Whatever you choose - CLEAR SKIES! :)

Lol :p

Well, Ive made my choice. Looks like the 130p is the winner here. Although the 1145p still seems a bargain starter scope and got great reviews.

Im going to buy a red dot finder seperatley as the 130p only comes with a standard one and I know from previous experience I hate them lol.

Thanks again to you all for the info.

I imagin my credit card company will be very pleased with my hobby choice :)

The problem for us is what to upgrade to now...

think you would be very happy with this

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

or this

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

or this

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P

another local into the fold, im from Vegas :)

for those not in the know

Pontefract = PonteCarlo

Castleford = CasVagas

Well thanks again for all the help. Ive placed my order for a SK1309EQ2 (Sky-Watcher 130p 900mm) and seriously cannot wait for it to arrive. Will be buying a motor drive for it too but budgets very tight. Are the £30 economy ones actually any good for tracking?

Also whilst Im here I really would like to give some astrophotography a go, I realise I would need a better mount atleast an EQ3 but still want to give it a go. My question is, I only have a samsung wb600 Compact and a webcam. I would love to use the webcam as ive seen the stunning results they can obtain. But the only webcam I have is a Logitech quickcam communicate. And I really cant find anything on modding the exposure on the CCD for it. Any help or pointers? Ive scoured the web for hours.

Thanks guys,

For astro-photography you'll find the book Making Every Photon Count (by SGL's very own steppenwolf & now onto it's 2nd Edition) helpful in getting started. Easy to read, it's full of advice aimed at the imaging novice, including choosing the right equipment, tips 'n' tricks and lots of other vital stuff.

The imaging section, too, is full of experienced, talented folk who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to share advice and guidance with you.

• 9 months later...

Archived